Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Over 70 medical card.

Options
  • 27-06-2020 2:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭

My sister will be applying for a medical card in a few weeks from now..
    She and her husband have some savings of around e30k in total. They both receive the state pension of about e 480 total. . She owns a little cottage as well as her principal residence.
    The courage needs some repair and is not/ will not be rented. It has a value of about e250k.
    My question is how is the cottage value calculated to give a weekly income figure .
    Would she be over the weekly limit.
    Thanks for any info..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Balagan1

"Property

Income will not be assessed from property (whether a family home, a holiday home or any other property) unless it is generating a rental income. The income to be assessed will be the actual income, less any cost necessarily incurred associated with the rental of the property. Such costs may include insurance premiums, loan or mortgage repayments, maintenance, etc.
    "

[Medical card means test: aged over 70 https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/health/medical_cards_and_gp_visit_cards/medical_card_means_test_over_70s.html]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

My sister will be applying for a medical card in a few weeks from now..
    She and her husband have some savings of around e30k in total. They both receive the state pension of about e 480 total. . She owns a little cottage as well as her principal residence.
    The courage needs some repair and is not/ will not be rented. It has a value of about e250k.
    My question is how is the cottage value calculated to give a weekly income figure .
    Would she be over the weekly limit.
    Thanks for any info..

Hi op I worked in the medical card section last year.

If it's not rented out they will have to provide a valuation of the property dated within the last 5 yrs or so in my experience..

So they basically have 280 k in savings in the eyes of the medical card section. Any investment, cash or property not rented is counted as savings.

So if they have a house that's not the family home worth 250k and 30k in savings that's 280k. They disregard the first 72k for a married couple or 36k for a single person

The remainder is either multiplied by 0.486% and divided by 52

Or else I think, for every €1000 they are given an x amount of euro added onto their weekly income. Something like that. It's different for under and over 70s.

Anyway hope that helps a little.. Maybe ring them and someone will be able to walk you directly through it about how it is calculated

But yes even if its not rented they will need to provide a valuation

Advertisement