Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Naturalisation and Cannabis

Options
  • 26-06-2020 11:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi guys

i am non-eu person married with a british living in Ireland over 5 years.
    Last year i arrested twice with personal usage pre rolled cannabis.Value was very small
    last 14th feburary was my first court i paid fee.Next court is 17th of july but i can apply my Naturalisation,Citizenship after 10th of July.

i bought my house and i am working in same work place since i moved Ireland.I am good standing person apart from that 2 little mistakes.
    So my question is can those 2 things effect my Naturalisation,Citizenship ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31 theo_parrish

You were arrested and charged for having a couple of pre-rolled joints?? Harsh...

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Queasy Tadpole

It's right there on the form;

"Applications where the applicant has a case pending in the court system will not be processed until the matter is concluded. Therefore do not submit an application for naturalization until the case is closed."

Do I think it will be an issue, yes.

Do I think getting caught with a harmless drug should stop you getting citizenship, no.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

Not to go off topic OP, but can I ask how you were caught? I know so many people who use the drug and have never been stopped by Gardai. I thought they only go after dealers

• Registered Users Posts: 13,851 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Not to go off topic OP, but can I ask how you were caught? I know so many people who use the drug and have never been stopped by Gardai. I thought they only go after dealers

From my Garda days, the only ones I would 'catch' were those who were stupidly smoking in public. There are always calls coming in that a 'gang of teens' are smoking it, so a car or beat members would be sent. When it was me, you'd see them before they'd see you and they'd be all hard men, smoking out in the open like they don't care. They change very quickly when speaking to them though.

So best to keep consumption to private places, or well out of the public view. You can never assume there won't be a nosy neighbour.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 dumanyak

You were arrested and charged for having a couple of pre-rolled joints?? Harsh...

Unfortunately yes.I been in my first court and paid money.
    It's right there on the form;

"Applications where the applicant has a case pending in the court system will not be processed until the matter is concluded. Therefore do not submit an application for naturalization until the case is closed."

Do I think it will be an issue, yes.

Do I think getting caught with a harmless drug should stop you getting citizenship, no.

I forgot that point. Thanks.

From my Garda days, the only ones I would 'catch' were those who were stupidly smoking in public. There are always calls coming in that a 'gang of teens' are smoking it, so a car or beat members would be sent. When it was me, you'd see them before they'd see you and they'd be all hard men, smoking out in the open like they don't care. They change very quickly when speaking to them though.

So best to keep consumption to private places, or well out of the public view. You can never assume there won't be a nosy neighbour.

I wasn't smoking public.I was in a music festival with friends.They wanted to search me we walked in to a tent (search area) they got my rocksuck then found pre rolled joint.
    I am not smoker person.Years later i was going smoke but i couldn't
    Next they another team wanted to search again same procedure but this they got my rocksuck out of the tent i didnt see them.after awhile a guard turnd back with a jooint.I was quite drunk.
    at first search they got all away then how did guard turned back with a joint i dont understand.
    i couldn't say anything my all around was guard in the tent..

So this is my story,this is my luck.I am seriously worrie for my citizenship.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Sonrisa

Hiya,

Unfortunately, I would also be concerned that they will refuse your citizenship application due to this.

You need to find out if you were actually convicted or if the charges were dismissed under the probation act.

In any event you might be better off waiting and applying for citizenship in a year or two's time, to show that some time has passed and this was a "one off " event.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

dumanyak wrote: »
    Next they another team wanted to search again same procedure but this they got my rocksuck out of the tent i didnt see them.after awhile a guard turnd back with a jooint.I was quite drunk.
    at first search they got all away then how did guard turned back with a joint i dont understand.

I think you had bad luck but your shaggy dog stories won't help you.

Advertisement