Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Testing a Ethernet switch?

Options
  • 26-06-2020 1:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭

We have a We have a TP-Link TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit Ethernet Switch (data sheet) installed on our house, it's 15 months old.

The green light is showing on the switch. Switch installed on our house, it's 15 months old. It appears to have failed. But I am trying to 100% confirm before replacing.

Connecting direct to the router works.
    I replace the cable from router to switch and none of my wired ports work - a few of the cat 6 modules were replaced recently so I am 100% confident they work.
    The green light is showing on the switch.

Is there any other way I can test the switch?

Thanks for any advice!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

You could just plug is two PCs \ laptops, with static IP addresses and then see if they can ping each other. Easy enough to do.

Your link is not working. Is this what you have?

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/business-networking/easy-smart-switch/tl-sg1024de/

It looks like you have a managed switch, which means you can log into it and see if what the problems are. If you are not using it as a managed switch, which it doesn't sound like, try resetting it factory default. I don't think it would do any harm. Replace the cable from the Switch to the Router again just to be 100%.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I had a similar (it seems) failure on my TP-Link TL-SG1024DE device recently.

Yours should be within its warranty period, so I would encourage you to check that ASAP.

When you plug in a device to the switch does the indicator LED light up indicating a connection for that port?

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭boardtc

Thanks for replies. No lights were showing on switch when LAN ports connected as @Johnboy1951 mentioned, which was a give away I think. TP-link webchat agreed to replace eventually earlier - I hope it's quick. I really thought this was a rock solid piece of kit, I'm just using it unmanaged, so disappointing to hear about another failure too johnboy19512. I have a RMA, and have to return before they supply a replacement.

Advertisement