Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electricity- Shopping Around

Options
  • 26-06-2020 1:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40

So I've changed provider once per year for the past 4 years. Switching at times, with what I think is good competition in the marketplace has meant that ... well ... loyalty hasn't paid off! ;)

I got an email from my current provider Iberdrola that my tariff is almost over and they suggested another tariff (which is not good value). It has a cheaper per kW rate but a much more expensive standing charge. I did the maths, the past year vs their proposed rates and it comes within 1 Euro the same. So their hints of saving were BS.

Switcher sites sometimes really wrong
    So with Bonkers and Switcher, I know you have to fill in your usage details carefully to get good estimates, but I noticed that even when you've got your figures and tariffs right, their estimates were WAY OFF a lot of the time. It's not that they are estimating annual usage of an average house. When you look at the per kW rates and standing charges they've compared, at least for me, very often they were not correct. I re-checked the name of the tariff I'm on etc. it's not me though. I'd say do the maths yourself and I'm not convinced by their big numbers. That said I've no doubt there is savings out there.

Privacy policy surprise
    So with my current provider, Iberdrola, it mentioned something about their privacy policy and I clicked on it. Their data collection on you from 3rd parties and how they "share" data (share or sell?) is rather extensive. Gone are the days these companies simply provide you with electricity, you pay them and that's that. There's references to searching you on "social networks" and everything. :eek::confused:

Any tips or hints or learnings from peoples? :pac::D
    Tagged:

Advertisement