Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is anybody going to the barbers next week and what are the rules?

Options
  • 26-06-2020 11:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 30,211 ✭✭✭✭

I’m hoping to get there in the next week or two. I haven’t cut my hair since the middle of February.
    What are the rules tough?
    Do you need to make an appointment? I’ve heard some people say you do and but most places I know of a few places and there adverting being open but they don’t have a number or mention anything about booking an appointment online.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

my son did a good job on my hair, I think I will be paying him now

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭oLoonatic

Most of the barbers are doing bookings now via their website. I havent seen specific guidelines but have seen facemasks being mentioned briefly. Im booked in wednesday at 10am cannot wait!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

Wife has done mine twice now, nearly time for a third "tidy up".

So the way things are going I may not step foot in a barbers unless I have an occasion and need it done properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

Facemask mandatory in my local on both the barber and customer, online system for booking an appointment, increased their prices by a couple of euro, they were reasonably priced to begin with, decent bunch of local lads who often throw you a beer on a Friday evening and would have the chat and crack with.

Good to see them back in action, hope they do will , no doubt they will.

My mrs has done a home made head shave and tidy on me since they closed, I will head down for a proper cut when the initial madness dies down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

I know this sounds expensive ..... I was getting fed up like looking like an extra from the "Planet of the Apes".
    So about a month ago, I bought a remmington hair clippers of 80 Euro. I expect to be locked down again for the next 12 months with wave two. It has paid for itself between two houses, if you go to a proper barber at 15 euros a pop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭Yester

I'm not going to bother. I nearly have enough for a decent comb over at this stage.

Got an email from Camden barbiere last week. Decided to book in for next Tuesday. I shaved my head two months back and I'm finding it fairly difficult to trim it myself.
    While we were closed, we’ve been busy adding new safety, hygiene and physical distancing measures. We want Barbiere to be a place where you can relax and feel safe, so you’ll see a few changes around the place:
    • Our already high standards of sanitation will be maximised to ensure all surfaces and tools are thoroughly disinfected between each haircut.
    • All of our barbers will use PPE including mask and gloves which will be sanitised or disposed of after every treatment.
    • Each client will be provided with a disposable mask, gown and towel. As these are an extra cost to us, a temporary surcharge of €3 will be added to each service.
    • Toilet facilities, iPads, magazines and refreshments will not be available until further notice.
    Please note that for the moment, in order to accommodate high demand from our clients, we are only in a position to take bookings for haircuts so other services are paused.
    Additionally, our instant rewards scheme and discounts are suspended until further notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,243 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I'm going to give myself a MKII lockdown haircut, learned a few lessons on the first attempt that are valuable in not making a complete balls of future attempts :D

Will get the haircut after that in the barbers, things will have calmed down a bit by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,479 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Wife's done mine twice and it was grand. No need to go near a barber fora while.
    He's using an all now to book your slot. Prices are the same.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

can't wait to get mine chopped

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Not much can be done with mine for a few weeks (covid cut), which suits me; let the initial rush die down.
    I go between two barbers, but have heard one isn't going to re-open. The other one is a one-man operation, so might be crazy for a while.

Booking a spot means there will be no rush. I've been doing it for years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Roll on 5pm when i get a hair cut !

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭titan18

The one my dad goes to is taking bookings, but mine isn't. Just turn up and max 3 in at a time. He's requiring face mask but my dad's guy didn't say anything about that, so if he doesn't require a face mask, I'd go to him especially with being able to book a time.

Is the facemask a rule they have to go with, or is that their discretion?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭unhappys10

I have mine booked for Saturday, I dunno if I'll go ahead, my hair has never been this long and I kind of like it, 6 months since I had a haircut, might just see where it goes :D
    One of their rules is to wash your hair at least 24 hours before arrival. I thought this was a strange one, who doesn't wash their hair before going to get it cut?!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,639 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

When the hairdressers federation was pushing for them to be allowed reopen they said it would be appointment only for contact tracing purposes but I contacted 4 barbers in D7 last week and none were taking appointments just walk ins.
    Seen there was queues outside most of the Grafton barbers stores at midnight last night, not sure how these longer queues on the streets will work today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭unhappys10

When the hairdressers federation was pushing for them to be allowed reopen they said it would be appointment only for contact tracing purposes but I contacted 4 barbers in D7 last week and none were taking appointments just walk ins.
    Seen there was queues outside most of the Grafton barbers stores at midnight last night, not sure how these longer queues on the streets will work today

There were seriously people queuing up at midnight last night for a haircut?

unhappys10 wrote: »
    There were seriously people queuing up at midnight last night for a haircut?

Seriously

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭WildWater

I know this sounds expensive ..... I was getting fed up like looking like an extra from the "Planet of the Apes".
    So about a month ago, I bought a remmington hair clippers of 80 Euro. I expect to be locked down again for the next 12 months with wave two. It has paid for itself between two houses, if you go to a proper barber at 15 euros a pop.

Mrs WildWater has been cutting my hair, with one of these, for more than 15 years. More than earned it's keep and I don't have the hassle of going to the barber. Which why she bought it is the first place. I always found going to the barber to be such a hassle that I would keep putting it off. She got fed up with that and bought the Remmington.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,626 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

2 mirrors and a clipper has done me well the past few months, and I reckon I'll keep that going. 2 on back and sides then trim on top with a 4 loosely. Weird thing are the complements which I normally never get.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Kamu

Seriously

I'm assuming they were not waiting until the barbers opened the next morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,639 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Kamu wrote: »
    I'm assuming they were not waiting until the barbers opened the next morning?

They were open 12-2AM

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Kamu

They were open 12-2AM

Christ, I imagine they raked it in so.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

When I contacted the one I go to they just said walk-ins only and that it will be busy for quite a few days. No mention of anything else but assuming there's no harm having a mask to hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭glenkeo

Was passing my normal barbers in letterkenny about 8 in the Q 3 cutting so took a number no booking fece masks needed and the take your details

Just got chopped in rathmines, felt very comfortable and didn’t need to wear mask

Wouldn't it be advisable to wear a mask regardless?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

mrcheez wrote: »
    2 mirrors and a clipper has done me well the past few months, and I reckon I'll keep that going. 2 on back and sides then trim on top with a 4 loosely. Weird thing are the complements which I normally never get.

I'e been doing the same. Watched a few youtube videos about cutting your hair beforehand. In general I'm happier with my own cuts as most of the time the barbers take too much off the top regardless if I ask. I'm not in a hurry to go back to them.

• Advertisement

I'e been doing the same. Watched a few youtube videos about cutting your hair beforehand. In general I'm happier with my own cuts as most of the time the barbers take too much off the top regardless if I ask. I'm not in a hurry to go back to them.

Exactly same experience... watched a video and thought I'd try it myself as the barber always ends up taking too much off or some bits left which aren't apparent until you wash your hair. I usually have to trim those myself later anyway.

Admittedly I am taking about 30 mins doing it, but I don't think a barber would be as particular about missing bits as I am while operating on my own head.

Can also try out interesting new styles too :D

Advertisement