Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which calf feeder?

Options
  • 26-06-2020 10:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Currently rearing about 80 heifer calves and selling the bulls at 1 month. I want to reduce labour so will have to invest in an auto feeder. What machines are working good and do they require much maintenance?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

smallcows wrote: »
    Currently rearing about 80 heifer calves and selling the bulls at 1 month. I want to reduce labour so will have to invest in an auto feeder. What machines are working good and do they require much maintenance?

Have an urban feeder and can’t fault it, serviced once a year

• Registered Users Posts: 10 smallcows

Simx, thanks for reply. How much does it cost for the service? How much are call out charges if it breaks down? I have heard that Dairymaster can be expensive for breakdown calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

You probably have your mind up but if I was you, I would invest that money in your calf shed rather than a computerised machine. The biggest problem with most calf sheds is they are far too small, so you end up spending your time moving calves, bedding calves and treating sick calves. No room for feed/straw in shed so you waste time transporting that from A to B. If you had 10 large pens with a central division and fed your calves whole milk with a milk cart I think you'd have your calves fed, you'd spot the sick one straight away and have better calves from the whole milk. If one lesson I learned from having an auto feeder it wont solve all your problems and if the shed is wrong it will lead to even more. Calves spend alot of time loitering around feeder so that's an area that's hard to keep clean. But if your heart is set on one, get one with 4 stations, that feed at the same time, and I hear good reports back on the JFC evolution.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

2 station jfc here. Fitted in jan. Very happy so far.
    We reused an old shed and put a new floor/walls etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Considering a trailed feeder here. If groups are calving close enough together start out with 20 on it and then to 40 once they are all able and have them on once a day when going to grass with adlib meal and straw to ease the transition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

Mooooo wrote: »
    Considering a trailed feeder here. If groups are calving close enough together start out with 20 on it and then to 40 once they are all able and have them on once a day when going to grass with adlib meal and straw to ease the transition.

I have a 40 compartment feeder for bull calves. Max I would put on it would be 35 so if you need it for 40 calves go for a 50 teat version. Have a level feeding area that you can lock calves out of while you park it. Mighty job at grass.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 smallcows

Hi Wildsurfer, thanks for your detailed reply. I am not committed to buying a machine and it is interesting that you raised the issue of sick calves. I have 10 JFC hutches and 10 agriplastic hutches, all singles and we find these to be the healthiest calves so we always keep them for heifers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Saw this on Twitter looked a tidy set up.
    https://twitter.com/HarbisonHugh/status/1325024525248049152?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭jfh

Mooooo wrote: »

Very simple idea, nothing to break down

Advertisement