Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flooring an attic

Options
  • 25-06-2020 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

The folks have asked me to floor their attic, it's purely to have more storage space not to create a room or anything.

The mother priced up attic boards and they seem stupid money so I was just going to buy ply or chipboard and floor it out.

Which would be better, obviously chipboard would be lighter but I'm not sure, any ideas..

The only weight that's gona be on it is Christmas decorations and empty suitcases etc, no massive weight.

When the mother went to builders depots and gave them the size of the attic they said 500 quid using attic flooring boards, I reckon I can do it was cheaper using ply or chipboard..

Thanks
    Dave

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,010 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Your options depend on the size of the attic hatch.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭Goose81

Lumen wrote: »
    Your options depend on the size of the attic hatch.

They don't cause I will just use a skill saw to chop the 8*4 sheets in half so they fit so the hatch doesn't affect my plans at all regards sheeting I use.

Basically just wondering whether ply or chipboard will be better.. not worried about what I can get through the hatch I will sort that

• Registered Users Posts: 9,927 ✭✭✭dodzy

Goose81 wrote: »
    They don't cause I will just use a skill saw to chop the 8*4 sheets in half so they fit so the hatch doesn't affect my plans at all regards sheeting I use.

Basically just wondering whether ply or chipboard will be better.. not worried about what I can get through the hatch I will sort that

8X4 sheets of 18mm OSB. Cut to size.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭Class MayDresser

Any thoughts on counter battening it? Many cables around?

Any thoughts on counter battening it? Many cables around?

There's few cables not a crazy amount, unfortunately they run over the beams so I'm just going to notch them out so I can board over

Not looking for perfection just a quick job tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,010 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

That's fine as long as you're not fussed about using T&G.

dodzy wrote: »
    8X4 sheets of 18mm OSB. Cut to size.

Thanks

You have actually prompted the question I was wondering.

If I use osb board, is the purpose of this board to prevent air leaks and try to keep it insulated or because it's t and g does it mean you can just lay it and not worry about the sheets Lying straight on rafters?

I don't understand it's purpose is it to keep it airtight and insulate the floor or because you can just throw the stuff down and not worry about landing on a beam..

Lumen wrote: »
    That's fine as long as you're not fussed about using T&G.

I'm not at all man, just skill saw it out and floor it in a few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,927 ✭✭✭dodzy

Thanks

You have actually prompted the question I was wondering.

If I use osb board, is the purpose of this board to prevent air leaks and try to keep it insulated or because it's t and g does it mean you can just lay it and not worry about the sheets Lying straight on rafters?

I don't understand it's purpose is it to keep it airtight and insulate the floor or because you can just throw the stuff down and not worry about landing on a beam..

I did not suggest T&G and being honest, I would not be a fan of it in your case. If you ever need access, it's a potential nightmare as you wont be able to pop one board if needed. T&G has its place but not here. Regular 8x4 OSB is available without T&G.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭tech

You can get osb in 8x2 foot boards no cutting required. 15e a sheet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

I paid 450 to get mine floored it took them 4 to 5 hours and done an amazing job.

If your laying floor right onto the rafters you don't have enough insulation

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

How big is the attic?

You might not be able to DIY it cheaper than getting it done by the 'Pros'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Hi all,

The folks have asked me to floor their attic, it's purely to have more storage space not to create a room or anything.

The mother priced up attic boards and they seem stupid money so I was just going to buy ply or chipboard and floor it out.

Which would be better, obviously chipboard would be lighter but I'm not sure, any ideas..

The only weight that's gona be on it is Christmas decorations and empty suitcases etc, no massive weight.

When the mother went to builders depots and gave them the size of the attic they said 500 quid using attic flooring boards, I reckon I can do it was cheaper using ply or chipboard..

Thanks
    Dave

Sounds like you're looking to floor about 35m2 based on above pricing which is a huge floor area just for storage. Is it an option to floor about 5-10m2 around the hatch since not looking to cross batten and overlay with additional insulation throughout.

Would cut down the cost/time significantly, working in an attic at present in this heat is hard going.

The whole roof has been sprayed with foam insulation last year, it's like an oven up there so not worried about that.

To the other posted it's a pretty big attic alright. I suppose I will have to price the wood up and see what option

Sounds like you're looking to floor about 35m2 based on above pricing which is a huge floor area just for storage. Is it an option to floor about 5-10m2 around the hatch since not looking to cross batten and overlay with additional insulation throughout.

Would cut down the cost/time significantly, working in an attic at present in this heat is hard going.

You are probably right , I don't think she realises how big the space is. No need for all that

• Registered Users Posts: 81,196 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Is there a danger with flooring the entire thing that moisture will build up between the flooring and joists underneath?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Fabio

Leave air gaps for circulation. If it's a big attic maybe don't do the whole thing, do they really need that amount of storage?

I ended up ripping up T&G boards in my attic, they were compressing insulation right down. I kept a few for Christmas decorations and whatnot but my idea is to raise them so more insulation can be stuffed under them. You can buy plastic stilts for that in B&Q.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,407 ✭✭✭TheChizler

The whole roof has been sprayed with foam insulation last year, it's like an oven up there so not worried about that.
    Even more reason to increase the ceiling insulation, the attic is hot because heat is escaping the living space.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

Yes my floor had to be raised about 2 to 3 inch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 Junior Blue

slightly off topic, but has anyone installed an attic lift with a hoist ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Slightly off topic too, if I have floorboards in the attic and they are not great looking, can I just overlay with a new base and put new flooring down?

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭prochida

I went the whole hog. Originally floored the usable area of the attic with attic boards but found that insulation was poor due to compressed rockwool. Overlaid this with an engineering board with 75mm polyurethane bonded to a attic board on top. Filled frame junctures with polyurethane pieces and non usable spaces with extra rockwool. The engineering boards were expensive ( ~€15) but bought only 2 or three at a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,832 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

prochida wrote: »
    The engineering boards were expensive ( ~€15) but bought only 2 or three at a time.

Where did you buy this, and do you have any link perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭prochida

cork builders providers but it was about 10 years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭ozmo

I used these - they have them on offer really cheap sometimes - think I got 2 for 1 offer on them.

https://www.woodies.ie/3-pack-loft-boards-1065559

The interlocking helps for the areas where the ends of the sheets are not exactly on the rafters - plain chipboard or plywood would be creaky here without extra supports.

Does for boxes and suitcases - Someday I hope to do a better job - but our attic is full of those stupid triangular support beams everywhere making it not so useful a space.

“Roll it back”

Advertisement