Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carbon do's and don't.

Options
  • 25-06-2020 7:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,772 ✭✭✭

After cycling on steel and alu over the years I've finally gone and purchased my first carbon road bike and I hope to pick up same next week. I look after my bike well and normally keep it clean and running freely and although I would do some minor jobs myself I normally leave the rest then to the experts in the bike shops.

I've been reading up on some info regarding carbon bikes and their treatment and with that in mind I'll buy myself a torque wrench and set. I've also read about avoiding clamping the cross bar and how to mount them on bike racks etc but are there any more essentials I should be aware of when using carbon.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

Fann Linn wrote: »
    After cycling on steel and alu over the years I've finally gone and purchased my first carbon road bike and I hope to pick up same next week. I look after my bike well and normally keep it clean and running freely and although I would do some minor jobs myself I normally leave the rest then to the experts in the bike shops.

I've been reading up on some info regarding carbon bikes and their treatment and with that in mind I'll buy myself a torque wrench and set. I've also read about avoiding clamping the cross bar and how to mount them on bike racks etc but are there any more essentials I should be aware of when using carbon.
    Thanks.

You’ve got most of the basics down! Carbon gripper paste is another essential, helps when torquing up parts. It’ll keep them from slipping.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭8valve

The best advice about handling carbon bikes I ever received, from a guy who raced and spannered on everything from steel in the 70s to carbon these days, was as follows:

''If you're working on it, treat it like its made of eggshells; if you're transporting it, or lifting it in and out of the car/van, treat it like it's made of eggshells; however....if you're cycling it, ride the fu(k out of it! That's the forces and stress it was designed to take!!''

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

"Carbon is stronger than you think, until suddenly it isn't"

As 8valve says, carbon frames are strong in use, but you do have to be careful when servicing and transporting them.

I do clamp my own carbon bike (relatively lightly) in a repair stand by the seatpost (carbon one that fits down over an extension of the frame) and never on a frame tube, and that's fine for cleaning, checking gears, brakes etc, BUT when a high-torque item needs loosening/tightening (eg: pedals, threaded BB, etc), I always take the bike down to avoid (even unintentionally) levering off the seat post.

While on the subject of carbon, is there an easy way to get grease/oil spots off the frame? I’ve been told to use baby wipes, but they don’t seem to have done the job.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,883 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

What's the story with the Aldi bike rack for hanging the bike on a wall?
    If I was to finally put my one up and hang the bike from it (I had assumed by the crossbar) would there be an issue?
    There shouldn't be any pressure in it (unlike a clamp).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Aegir wrote: »
    While on the subject of carbon, is there an easy way to get grease/oil spots off the frame? I’ve been told to use baby wipes, but they don’t seem to have done the job.

I'm not sure. I'm presuming it's unpainted carbon, so do be careful - a solvent that's too aggressive may attack/soften the resin that the carbon fibre is baked in. Tl;dr I'm not sure, but I can see the potential for trouble, so research is important.
    What's the story with the Aldi bike rack for hanging the bike on a wall?
    If I was to finally put my one up and hang the bike from it (I had assumed by the crossbar) would there be an issue?
    There shouldn't be any pressure in it (unlike a clamp).

Should be fine.
    High pressure from a clamp (leading to the walls of the tube cracking) or point-loading (impact with a sharp object like an accidentally-dropped lump hammer or landing on a kerb-edge during a fall) are the real dangers - hanging a bike up only involves its own weight (<10KG), and don't forget that a decent bike can take the weight & forces generated by a rider of >100KG.
    It would have to be a very unusual situation (or very badly-designed rack) to damage a bike with its own weight.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,883 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Grand thanks - figured that but nice to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,956 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Try using a cotton bud dipped in a little white spirit but as has been said, go easy on it and do an inconspicuous area first.

(When you say grease/oil, do you mean tar?)

Try using a cotton bud dipped in a little white spirit but as has been said, go easy on it and do an inconspicuous area first.

(When you say grease/oil, do you mean tar?)

It’s mainly oil from the chain I’m worried about, but three spots have appeared on the top tube and I’m not sure what they are. Soapy water doesn’t seem to shift them and although you can hardly see them, I know they’re there.

I may have to buy a new bike

It’s mainly oil from the chain I’m worried about...
    You may be over-lubing the chain. One tiny drop every 3rd link is enough and run outside of chain through a cloth before riding.

The only part of the frame that chain oil usually stains is the chain stay - caused by the top part of the chain slapping off it when going over rough terrain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Tony04

It could be just grime left as residue from a cloth. If you use a microfiber cloth you can get them in the cleaning sections of most supermarket cheap enough it will wipe grime off without residue. But I'd agitate it with a brush first

You may be over-lubing the chain. One tiny drop every 3rd link is enough and run outside of chain through a cloth before riding.

The only part of the frame that chain oil usually stains is the chain stay - caused by the top part of the chain slapping off it when going over rough terrain.

I haven't oiled the chain since new (about 800k in the dry so far), it is chain slap I am worried about mainly. the rear stay has a coating on it whereas the rest of the bike is matt. I might give that area a wipe as Tony says below.
    Tony04 wrote: »
    It could be just grime left as residue from a cloth. If you use a microfiber cloth you can get them in the cleaning sections of most supermarket cheap enough it will wipe grime off without residue. But I'd agitate it with a brush first

I think the spots on the cross tube are finger prints from changing a tube the other day. I will give this a try. thanks

... the rear stay has a coating on it whereas the rest of the bike is matt.....
    The coating is there to protect the stay from the chain. I'm open to correction but it is designed to be able to be wiped clean with a solvent. I've always done so anyway - usually some white spirits to lift the oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Tony04

The chain stay should have some protective tape to prevent chain slap from paint work, if that's not there you should put one on.

Personally if I find the chain stay is a bit dirty I'll just paint a bit of degreaser I'd use on the chain and cassette on the chainstay wash it off and then wipe it.

Advertisement