Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Front Wheel 5 punctures in 2 weeks

Options
  • 25-06-2020 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭

All, bit of a stupid thread but can't understand what's happening.
    Have bike for years, no punctures. Didn't use it for a few months, got a flat in back tire. Fixed, no issues since. Got puncture in front next day, changed tube, fine.
    Next day, another one, changed tube and tire. Puncture next day. Patched tube. Fine, puncture 2 days later. Changed tube again, puncture today!
    All punctures seem to be pin holes at the front, so not like puncturing against wheel rim. Sometimes they're flat when I go out in the morning but mostly it's mid-ride or when I've left it for a bit after riding somewhere.

Wheel is standard 700c.
    Continental tubes and LifeLine Road Inner Tube
    These tires
    https://www.wiggle.com/michelin-dynamic-classic-road-bike-tire/?sku=232277

Any ideas? It's really annoying.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭secman

I had a similar problem in the last year 6 punctures in quick succession across 2 different bikes , i had bought a batch of those Lifeline tubes off a lad who had put wider wheels on his bike. When I googled it , there was a bad batch of those tubes failing , just got rid and bought a batch of Conti tubes , not going to say the rest in case i jinx myself.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,354 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it's possible the original object which punctured the tube is still inside the tyre; check the tyre for anything still stuck in it (with the obvious caveat to be careful as it's likely to be sharp if there).

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭mcdonrob

Sounds like whatever caused the puncture is still embedded in your tire. Try this: locate the puncture in tube so that when you align with tyre you can find and then remove the glass/nail etc… that may be lodged in tyre before sacrificing another tube.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭wannabecraig

This is the first one of them I used. It's happened with 2 other tube types as well.

OP mentioned they've had the bike for years , is it possible they've had the same tyres for years too?

• Advertisement

Puncture is two diff places, both front pinhole, and with new tire.

Dont know what current issue is as haven't looked yet.

But as said, new tire, so object not stuck in it.

OP mentioned they've had the bike for years , is it possible they've had the same tyres for years too?

No, 3rd set of tires. Have bike 4 years only.

These are the tires https://www.wiggle.com/michelin-dynamic-classic-road-bike-tire/?sku=232277&utm_source=affiliate-window&utm_medium=affiliates&utm_campaign=Skimlinks&utm_term=Skimlinks&utm_content=Sub+Networks&awc=12444_1593095483_8dfcb8b991573e7d3e9ab7fee6d851eb

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭lissard

What type of tyre have you got? Not all tyres are created equal and often the ones shipped with new bikes are awful (I'm looking at you giant!). I once punctured on a brand new bike on my very first ride. Changed the tyre to a Schwalb Durano - not one puncture since in 2 years.

lissard wrote: »
    What type of tyre have you got? Not all tyres are created equal and often the ones shipped with new bikes are awful (I'm looking at you giant!). I once punctured on a brand new bike on my very first ride. Changed the tyre to a Schwalb Durano - not one puncture since in 2 years.

Link to tire above.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭joey100

Check the rim tape around the wheel, it might have been damaged and that's where your getting your punctures.

• Advertisement

joey100 wrote: »
    Check the rim tape around the wheel, it might have been damaged and that's where your getting your punctures.

I thought that, but they hole is usually in the front, facing away from the rim.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭lissard

The michelin tyre you have fitted has no specific puncture resistance - the feedback on the wiggle link you posted shows a good few people with the same complaint as yourself. A lot of road tyres insert a puncture resistant layer and this makes a big difference. Continental call theirs Vectran, Schwalbe call theirs Raceguard. I honestly wouldn't consider any tyre lacking this sort of feature.

lissard wrote: »
    The michelin tyre you have fitted has no specific puncture resistance - the feedback on the wiggle link you posted shows a good few people with the same complaint as yourself. A lot of road tyres insert a puncture resistant layer and this makes a big difference. Continental call theirs Vectran, Schwalbe call theirs Raceguard. I honestly wouldn't consider any tyre lacking this sort of feature.

I just got this tire cause it's a kick about bike, not worth much, and just for bopping about. I've had diff' type of tires on bikes over the years but never 5 punctures in 2 weeks with two diff' tires.
    The first tire was actually a continental that I had on my race bike.

Advertisement