Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scaffolding and overhead cables

Options
  • 25-06-2020 10:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭

I just got a permit to put up scaffolding in order to re-slate my roof. It's a terraced house and the ESB cable is attached just below the gutter to one side. My scaffolder told me to contact the ESB which I did and they said they'd send someone out to sheath the cable.

My electrician* had a look yesterday and he said the cable is already insulated and that there's no need for the ESB to do anything. Does anyone know if it's common practice for the ESB to put a sheath on an already insulated cable? I know very little about electrical things so I'm taking no chances. I suppose I have no choice but to wait for the ESB to have a look. Trouble is my scaffolder wants to start on Monday.

Thanks

*From what I've seen I think he's a bit of a nutter safety-wise that's why I'm asking for a second opinion here.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

ESB will still have to sheath the cable, or divert it.

Insulated cables should be treated as uninsulated - that cable is up there for years and years exposed to all the elements, can you be 100% sure that the insulation is not cracked or otherwise compromised, and you are going to have workers up there moving around it.

And if your electrician is a nutter safety wise then he is a liability and you should not be employing him at all. The fact that you know this and employ him anyway is all the worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭pawdee

I couldn't agree more. Thanks for your advice.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

pawdee wrote: »
    I just got a permit to put up scaffolding in order to re-slate my roof. It's a terraced house and the ESB cable is attached just below the gutter to one side. My scaffolder told me to contact the ESB which I did and they said they'd send someone out to sheath the cable.

My electrician* had a look yesterday and he said the cable is already insulated and that there's no need for the ESB to do anything. Does anyone know if it's common practice for the ESB to put a sheath on an already insulated cable? I know very little about electrical things so I'm taking no chances. I suppose I have no choice but to wait for the ESB to have a look. Trouble is my scaffolder wants to start on Monday.

Thanks

*From what I've seen I think he's a bit of a nutter safety-wise that's why I'm asking for a second opinion here.

Who is running the job?
    Who is the project supervisor for construction stage?

If that’s you OP, then you are ultimately responsible for people on your site. If you allow them to start you will be liable for prosecution should something terrible happen.

Gumbo, it is a fella reslating a roof. The should have a PSCS of course, but it's a bit pointless asking a joe soap householder have they got a PSCS. Unless they themselves are involved in managing construction projects as part of their job, they won't have a bull's notion what it is let alone have one appointed.
    you'd be surprised at the number of "professionals" in the industry who are half clueless about it all too.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Gumbo, it is a fella reslating a roof. The should have a PSCS of course, but it's a bit pointless asking a joe soap householder have they got a PSCS. Unless they themselves are involved in managing construction projects as part of their job, they won't have a bull's notion what it is let alone have one appointed.
    you'd be surprised at the number of "professionals" in the industry who are half clueless about it all too.

I know. That’s the point of my post.
    In these kind of jobs the home owner doesn’t realise they are taking on the responsibility of PSCS and all the liability that goes with it.

https://www.hsa.ie/eng/Publications_and_Forms/Publications/Construction/homeowners_guidance.pdf

• Advertisement

Well that's it sure. But as a fella said to me one time, the end of the day that is what insurance is for. Joe Soap homeowner who isn't an engineer or construction manager who ought to know better, won't be facing into professional negligence, or a ruined reputation & loss of career if there is an accident if he just hires a few tradies casually to do work and it goes wrong. In the end, his insurance and the insurance of the tradies will pay out for any damages.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,224 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Well that's it sure. But as a fella said to me one time, the end of the day that is what insurance is for. Joe Soap homeowner who isn't an engineer or construction manager who ought to know better, won't be facing into professional negligence, or a ruined reputation & loss of career if there is an accident if he just hires a few tradies casually to do work and it goes wrong. In the end, his insurance and the insurance of the tradies will pay out for any damages.

I don't see it that was as the insurance co will assume compliance with the law/regulations.. ignorance, feigned or real is no excuse

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

maybe, but that is the reality of how many people see it.

I'm not convinced about how you say insurance might not pay out unless all is and ts were dotted and crossed - sure if that was the case there would scarcely ever be an insurance payout, as nearly all claims can be tied back to some sort of breach of a legal obligation.

Advertisement