Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wall/Drive way entrance advice

Options
  • 25-06-2020 12:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭

I have posted some questions about this before, but I'm looking for advice/ideas on a modern take for a drive way entrance.

We live along a rural road, and have an old stone faced wall at the entrance, which we will knock (not stable, too tight, etc.). The full site stretches along 110M of the roadway, with a old dry stone wall covered in briars, growth, etc makes up the rest either side of the entrance walls.

I'm looking for ideas/photos of something with a modern twist. Also - curved Vs splayed walls? I have considered a stone wall the whole way, but it's cost prohibitive. I've ruled out concrete shuttered and bare block also. Plastered block or maybe timber effect concrete fence may be an option also.

I know there are planning implications for the roadside, but I hope to knock the entrance way in the coming weeks and would like to finalize the design for it.

The house is a long way back from the road, so I'm not too worried about tying into the look of it.

Any ideas greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

tedimc wrote: »
    I have posted some questions about this before, but I'm looking for advice/ideas on a modern take for a drive way entrance.

We live along a rural road, and have an old stone faced wall at the entrance, which we will knock (not stable, too tight, etc.). The full site stretches along 110M of the roadway, with a old dry stone wall covered in briars, growth, etc makes up the rest either side of the entrance walls.

I'm looking for ideas/photos of something with a modern twist. Also - curved Vs splayed walls? I have considered a stone wall the whole way, but it's cost prohibitive. I've ruled out concrete shuttered and bare block also. Plastered block or maybe timber effect concrete fence may be an option also.

I know there are planning implications for the roadside, but I hope to knock the entrance way in the coming weeks and would like to finalize the design for it.

The house is a long way back from the road, so I'm not too worried about tying into the look of it.

Any ideas greatly appreciated.

Curved V Splayed May be a planning concern so best to ask the planners first.
    Creating the entrance in the next few weeks.......how will you achieve a grant of planning in that time frame?

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭tedimc

Gumbo wrote: »
    Curved V Splayed May be a planning concern so best to ask the planners first.
    Creating the entrance in the next few weeks.......how will you achieve a grant of planning in that time frame?

So I am struggling getting anywhere with the planners to be honest, I have emailed, phoned, etc. and cannot get a meeting or clarification on what would be allowed, is planning required, etc.

From my understanding (and I am open to correction) - I will need planning for a block or concrete wall along the roadside. 'Stone' or timber fence should be exempt. I'm not sure if this is dry stone only, or would a stone faced wall be exempt also. One option I am considering is a timber 'effect' concrete fence and I am presuming this would fall into the same bracket as timber fence.

Re the driveway entrance, surely the fact the entrance is there already and the wall is unstable means I can replace it within reason?

So I am struggling getting anywhere with the planners to be honest, I have emailed, phoned, etc. and cannot get a meeting or clarification on what would be allowed, is planning required, etc.

From my understanding (and I am open to correction) - I will need planning for a block or concrete wall along the roadside. 'Stone' or timber fence should be exempt. I'm not sure if this is dry stone only, or would a stone faced wall be exempt also. One option I am considering is a timber 'effect' concrete fence and I am presuming this would fall into the same bracket as timber fence.

Re the driveway entrance, surely the fact the entrance is there already and the wall is unstable means I can replace it within reason?

No, your understanding is wrong.
    Any vehicular entrance requires planning, timber, stone, block, whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭tedimc

Gumbo wrote: »
    No, your understanding is wrong.
    Any vehicular entrance requires planning, timber, stone, block, whatever.

The vehicular entrance is there already, with a stone faced wall (maybe since the 70s). Do I need planning to knock the wall and rebuild it?

Even if it is in a bad state of repair?

The vehicular entrance is there already, with a stone faced wall (maybe since the 70s). Do I need planning to knock the wall and rebuild it?

Even if it is in a bad state of repair?

No in my opinion as long as the original planning didn’t stipulate the existing finish.

• Advertisement
Advertisement