Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cottage renovation v new build

Options
  • 24-06-2020 5:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭

Hi all, looking for some advice please. I have an old derelict cottage in the midlands. It’s in serious disrepair - damp, no foundations, septic tank not fit for use etc. I had an engineer look at it a few months ago and he said it would cost at least €100k to make it any way liveable but could be more. If I was to do some of the demolition myself, this would reduce the cost a lot but I live and work in Dublin. There’s a good bit of land nearby and I’m thinking that it may be better to build a small house (90 - 110 m2) instead and have the cottage as a long term project. The absolute max I could spend on a new build would be €150k. I work in an office job but recently started a food business and will be building a small food production unit too. The planning office and local enterprise office have been enthusiastic about the food business and I think this would go in my favour if looking for planning on a new build. Anyway, would anyone have any idea or advice on what I could build for €150k or who I should talk to? Just looking for a steer as I’m new to all of this and some of the construction prices I’m seeing are frightening. Thank you

Advertisement