Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike Rack for 2016 Nissan Qashqai

Options
  • 24-06-2020 3:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭

Hi, I have a Nissan Qashqai the current model and want to get a bike rack but I am having problems finding a suitable one. Issue is that there is a fairly substantial plastic spoiler over the tailgate which cannot take any real load.
    I don't want to fit a tow bar and while the car has roof rails, as the roof is fairly high I would struggle to load bikes onto the roof. Also, I wouldn't trust myself to remember they are on the roof and could end up hitting a height barrier.
    Can anyone recommend a bike rack that works with a Nissan Qashqai. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭rayman1

Surely some people on here have Nissan Qashqais. It was the Best Selling Car for a lot of years.
    How do you manage for a Bike Rack?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

• Registered Users Posts: 7,774 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Eamonnator wrote: »

Yes. And if the OP taps 'Saris Bones' into YouTube the different models are all reviewed there for the numerous makes and models of cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,774 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Yes. And if the OP taps 'Saris Bones' into YouTube the different models are all reviewed there for the numerous makes and models of cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭fat bloke

I'm sure any boot-mounted thing will do the job but you are ruling out by far the two best ways of carrying bikes on a car (roof or tow bar).

fat bloke wrote: »
    I'm sure any boot-mounted thing will do the job but you are ruling out by far the two best ways of carrying bikes on a car (roof or tow bar).

I have a boot mounted bike rack from my previous car, a Toyota Avensis saloon and it definitely will not work. While a tow bar works well I cannot justify spending €500 fitting a tow bar I have no other use for and as I am not in the first flush of youth, lifting bikes onto a high roof is not a viable option.

Thanks Eamonnator. That looks the job 👍

rayman1 wrote: »
    I have a boot mounted bike rack from my previous car, a Toyota Avensis saloon and it definitely will not work. While a tow bar works well I cannot justify spending €500 fitting a tow bar I have no other use for and as I am not in the first flush of youth, lifting bikes onto a high roof is not a viable option.

That's fair enough, though I paid 350 to get a removable tow bar fitted the last time I did it.
    Personally any time I see multiple bikes smushed together on boot mounted racks, I wince. - Depends how valuable your bikes are I guess. No point spending the price of your bike on a bike holder/transporter either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

The spoiler is going to cause a problem alright. Most of the rear-mount rack manufacturers point that out quite quickly in their product guides, however no harm in emailing the like of Saris or Hollywood Racks and put this specific question to them - perhaps even with a photo - and ask their advice. There might even be an approved 'bodge' that sorts it out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,111 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Is the Halford Bike Rack a load of muck, something you wouldn't recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,151 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

MojoMaker wrote: »
    The spoiler is going to cause a problem alright.

Spoilers ruled out rear mounted racks on both our cars. They tend not to be solid and can probably be easily cracked or pulled off resulting in disaster.

Hurrache wrote: »
    Spoilers ruled out rear mounted racks on both our cars. They tend not to be solid and can probably be easily cracked or pulled off resulting in disaster.

Absolutely. :pac:

https://youtu.be/mUJxrlOBSro

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

Can this be got anywhere other than Halfords in Ireland? Was hoping to pick one up before next week but they are all out of stock in Halfords Cork

EDIT: Will this one fit a Qashqui? https://www.saris.com/product/solo. It's in stock in Halfords. Looks like it should as it wont put any pressure on the plastic bumper.

Can this be got anywhere other than Halfords in Ireland? Was hoping to pick one up before next week but they are all out of stock in Halfords Cork

EDIT: Will this one fit a Qashqui? https://www.saris.com/product/solo. It's in stock in Halfords. Looks like it should as it wont put any pressure on the plastic bumper.

That bike rack will not work as the upper straps put full pressure on the spoiler.
    I got the Saris Bones EX 3 last week in Halfords Waterford. It hadn't been available for a few weeks but I kept checking the website and it appeared.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

rayman1 wrote: »
    That bike rack will not work as the upper straps put full pressure on the spoiler.
    I got the Saris Bones EX 3 last week in Halfords Waterford. It hadn't been available for a few weeks but I kept checking the website and it appeared.

Really? Crap. Looking at the images of both it looks like the upper straps attach to the car in the same way for both, the difference is the Saris Bones EX 3 has straps that come out to the side as well as the bottom, where as the Saris Solo only has straps at the top and bottom, no side straps. Does that make a difference in terms of pressure on the spoiler?
    If I did go with the Solo rack will it really put that much pressure on the spoiler seeing as it's just one bike weighting < 10KG.

Going to dingle next week so really want to bring the bike for Slea Head and Conor Pass!!

Really? Crap. Looking at the images of both it looks like the upper straps attach to the car in the same way for both, the difference is the Saris Bones EX 3 has straps that come out to the side as well as the bottom, where as the Saris Solo only has straps at the top and bottom, no side straps. Does that make a difference in terms of pressure on the spoiler?
    If I did go with the Solo rack will it really put that much pressure on the spoiler seeing as it's just one bike weighting < 10KG.

Going to dingle next week so really want to bring the bike for Slea Head and Conor Pass!!

Good luck with getting any kind of bike rack, sold out nearly everywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Crocked

Try eurocycles, have got Saris parts in there before

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,490 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Friend of mine got one for his 2017 qashqai in Dublin 2 bikes last week.

Advertisement