Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wonderful losers - short film about domestiques during the 2017 Giro on RTE player

Options
  • 24-06-2020 9:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭

Watched this short doc following a few domestiques during the 2017 Giro last night. On the RTE player now. Thought it was a good watch

Wonderful Losers: A Different World

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Tony04

ILIKEFOOD wrote: »
    Watched this short doc following a few domestiques during the 2017 Giro last night. On the RTE player now. Thought it was a good watch

Wonderful Losers: A Different World

Acctually was the 2014 giro, the year it came over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭onlineweb

Ah cool, will watch this. ðŸ‘

• Registered Users Posts: 13,307 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Nice one; will definitely watch this. Thanks OP

Love the OP's definition of 'short documentary' I was going to stick it on now while I wait for dinner to finish in the oven but it's 1h 11min, thats one for later tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I think I'll crack open another beer and watch this later. Once the Liverpool match is over.

Thanks for the heads up, OP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭G1032

That was very good. Thanks for posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Looks good

It’s also on the Sky TV catch up facility for RTÉ. If you’re like me and have no patience for the RTÉ player online.

bazermc wrote: »
    Looks good

It’s also on the Sky TV catch up facility for RTÉ. If you’re like me and have no patience for the RTÉ player online.

I saw it on the Fire TV yesterday. Could have rented it for a euro or something. I'm sorry I didn't 🙈. The RTE player would drive you around the twist.

I'm about 15 minutes into it now... It's really good so far

Was anyone else busy looking up race numbers on pcs to see who some of them were?

• Advertisement

Was anyone else busy looking up race numbers on pcs to see who some of them were?

I watch a lot of pro cycling but I'm struggling to recognise a lot of them :o

I watch a lot of pro cycling but I'm struggling to recognise a lot of them :o

Same. I was convinced the Movistar rider holding on to the car near the start and caked in crud was Quintana but it was Adriano Malori who I don't know and who retired in 2017 with wins in la Vuelta and was national champ in the ITT at one point. (Thanks procycling stats)

Finished watching it... Enjoyable. If you don't have much knowledge of what goes on in pro cycling then you might not understand the context of some bits. Quite tough to watch sometimes as you see a lot of road rash and riders in pain.

The featured cyclists are Danielle Colli, Svein Tuft, Paolo Tiralongo, Jos Van Emden, Chris Anker Sorensen.

Svein Tuft is a seriously cool guy :cool:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,828 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Just turned this on and it starts with my favourite male (now former) pro Svein Tuft! I am now very excited!

ETA what was well worth a watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭devonp

pretty good watch

who was the garmin rider on the ground after a crash, cursing...and in pain

was it Dan Martin ?

No it was Fabian Wagmann I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Finished watching it... Enjoyable. If you don't have much knowledge of what goes on in pro cycling then you might not understand the context of some bits. Quite tough to watch sometimes as you see a lot of road rash and riders in pain.

The featured cyclists are Danielle Colli, Svein Tuft, Paolo Tiralongo, Jos Van Emden, Chris Anker Sorensen.

Svein Tuft is a seriously cool guy :cool:
    eeeee wrote: »
    Just turned this on and it starts with my favourite male (now former) pro Svein Tuft! I am now very excited!

ETA what was well worth a watch.

If you get a chance to listen to the 1-on-1 that Mitch Docker does on his podcast series with Svein Tuft it is a great listen. It runs for over an hour . He is a really interesting character with a great back-story of an early lift hobo existence in Canada. One seriously cool dude.

Link here https://lifeinthepeloton.com/2019/07/31/svein-tuft-sveinos-journey/

Another more recent (lockdown) M.D. podcast brings most of his Orica team from the 2014 Giro (they won the TTT in Belfast) back together and will be easily found if you go looking. Also worth a listen

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,828 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Yeah I love him because of how he came to the sport, and his attitude. He's not a hothouse flower on a bike since they were 7, spoilt, with 0 personality or life experience outside of cycling. He also has a good perspective on it, he knows how little bike racing matters, and how it matters if that makes sense.

He's the only current Male pro I've ever found vaguely interesting. Well Sam Beweley a bit too, similar attitude. His lockdown content was brilliant!

The women's peloton have far more interesting characters, I think because it's so unfunded they have to have lives off the bike to to make it work, outside the very top women.

TheBlaaMan wrote: »
    If you get a chance to listen to the 1-on-1 that Mitch Docker does on his podcast series with Svein Tuft it is a great listen. It runs for over an hour . He is a really interesting character with a great back-story of an early lift hobo existence in Canada. One seriously cool dude.

Link here https://lifeinthepeloton.com/2019/07/31/svein-tuft-sveinos-journey/

Another more recent (lockdown) M.D. podcast brings most of his Orica team from the 2014 Giro (they won the TTT in Belfast) back together and will be easily found if you go looking. Also worth a listen

The one where he interviews Luke Durbridge and they talk about the opening weekend of the classics is absolutely brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

That's a really good documentary. Cheers for the heads up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

is it still up?
    I went looking for it, and I couldn't find it ! :/

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

I had a hard time finding it on the TV app browsing through it and had to do a word search. It is still on there though.

https://www.rte.ie/player/movie/wonderful-losers/137893416423

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

ahh, twas a bit disappointing really.
    Too much arty bits, needed more cycling on the bloody thing!

We saw as much of the dark tunnel as we did of cyclists!

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

Advertisement