Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

99% IPA - Rubbing Alcohol

Options
  • 24-06-2020 7:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭

I am changing out my AIO in the coming weeks and will need to clean off thermal paste from the CPU

Wondering if anyone knows where I can get 99% IPA/Isopropyl Alcohol/Rubbing Alcohol or have some other method to clean the CPU?

Cant seem to find any on amazon in stock

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Some small pharmacy's might sell you some, avoid the likes of boots or the other big chains.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Philipx

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Make sure to get proper material for wiping as well. Nothing that leaves any fibers behind. Can get the alcohol in any chemist I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Use a microfibre cloth, personally I don't think 99% IPA is required, just give it a good old fashioned clean and apply your new thermal paste.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Boots sell it but they call it Nail Varnish remover :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭KeithTS

Just search for IPA on Farnell or RS components websites.
    RS are in Dublin so if they're open you could just drop by but they deliver quickly.

I don't use cloths to apply, i usually use a brush with firm bristles (a toothbrush does the trick) and give my boards a decent scrub with it and then leave to evaporate/dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Boots sell it but they call it Nail Varnish remover :)

Not the same thing.

Nail varnish remover is acetone based which will do a job of cleaning a cpu but will eat plastics so it's dangerous to use near a motheboard. Even the cpu itself has some plastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

I use 70% without an issue, just be a bit careful with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

Inquitus wrote: »
    Use a microfibre cloth, personally I don't think 99% IPA is required, just give it a good old fashioned clean and apply your new thermal paste.

you're not alone, I have always done that

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

kingtiger wrote: »
    you're not alone, I have always done that

Aye its been proven it makes no material difference.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

some of those glasses cleaning wipes have what smells like iso propyl alcohol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Arctic-Silver-ArctiClean-Material-Purifier/dp/B000BKP306/ref=sr_1_3?crid=E6BNQ3NXRIK0&dchild=1&keywords=thermal+paste+remover&qid=1593173151&sprefix=thermal+paste+re%2Caps%2C214&sr=8-3

I bought some of this stuff a few years back because I could not find "isopropyl alcohol" anywhere handy. Now I'm pretty sure that's exactly what's in the pot and I'm just overpaying for it - but it does the job and you only need a tiny amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

BloodBath wrote: »
    Some small pharmacy's might sell you some, avoid the likes of boots or the other big chains.

Can I hijack this thread? I got a small bottle of 99% IPA in a local chemists. But it doesn't have any kind of special spout or dispenser. There's just a cap and a normal bottle head.

Would there be a proper empty container or spout I could buy? Because the way it is is very awkward to use without spillage and mess.

I should probably just chuck it and buy a proper one but I'm not sure if it's safe to just dump down a drain.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭BArra

Can I hijack this thread? I got a small bottle of 99% IPA in a local chemists. But it doesn't have any kind of special spout or dispenser. There's just a cap and a normal bottle head.

Would there be a proper empty container or spout I could buy? Because the way it is is very awkward to use without spillage and mess.

I should probably just chuck it and buy a proper one but I'm not sure if it's safe to just dump down a drain.

can you not put a microfibre cloth over the top of bottle, tip bottle upside down so it wets the cloth and you are in business with no spillage?

EDIT: no luck so far with small chemists around my area - ill try a few more

Yep I suppose that works but a bit low tech! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Doc Solder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

Yep I suppose that works but a bit low tech! :)

I've a bottle of IPA on the shelf above me and thats exactly how I use it. Normally with a microfiber cloth but for cleaning off thermal paste I use kitchen roll.

Local chemist sells it but last batch came from a mate that buys it in 20l drums for cleaning surfaces for sign writing and he doesn't exactly miss the 100ml I use ever couple of years.

I actually wonder if some of the 80% alcohol sanitizers would do the job. I know they have a few other chemicals in them but don't see a problem there.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

If you need IPA I can highly recommend SeanO on adverts:

https://www.adverts.ie/member/439223

I've bought a lot of it from him and he even delivered it in person once. Sound lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Rob2D wrote: »
    If you need IPA I can highly recommend SeanO on adverts:

https://www.adverts.ie/member/439223

I've bought a lot of it from him and he even delivered it in person once. Sound lad.

Thats pretty good value!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

Thats pretty good value!

Yup. It's proper stuff too. We use it in work all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭BArra

perfect ill try get some from him so

how long does the stuff last, if cleaning off an aio and assuming it does not go off, so surely 1litre of it would last years?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

BArra wrote: »
    perfect ill try get some from him so

how long does the stuff last, if cleaning off an aio and assuming it does not go off, so surely 1litre of it would last years?

Its lasts as long as you keep it well sealed leave the top off and it will evaporate.

Also absorbs water from the air quite quickly if the top is left off.

Advertisement