Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much of Great Southern Greenway is open?

Options
  • 23-06-2020 7:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭

How much of Great Southern Greenway is open? Is it in reasonable condition anyone know?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭mitchelsontour

http://www.southerntrail.net/

Rathkeale to Abbeyfeale about 40km - working on linking to Listowel

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

An interesting bit of reading re the same greenway.
    http://www.southerntrail.net/whats_new.html

This is also on the Great Southern Greenway page.
    ....Closure!!! LCCC are closing access to the trail/greenway between rathkeale and ardagh! From 22/06/2020 - 30/09/2020 for works!

Not sure if that message is genuine or whether resurfacing works are going ahead.

I had a look on facebook again.
    Unfortunately there are a few different pages on facebook with similar names. The above seem to be a bike hire company.

The official page looks to be Great Southern Greenway Limerick.

A bit like the Royal Canal the first website above is the voluntary organisation that campaigned for a greenway. But given that the lands are being aquired by the councils from CIE the councils will be taking over the running of them I would imagine and the various websites and pages.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭PoorFarmer

TGD wrote: »
    How much of Great Southern Greenway is open? Is it in reasonable condition anyone know?

Was in average enough condition last time I was on it but have got a big influx of funding at the moment to put a proper tarmac finish on it. Section from Rathkeale to Ardagh is closed at the moment for works so that leaves only 25 odd kilometres open. There are alot of improvements to be carried out so I imagine that sections will be closed on a rolling basis for the next couple of years.
    I understand work is commencing on the Listowel to abbeyfeale section at the moment too.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭TGD

Ok, thanks. So, the section from Abbeyfeale to Rathkeale is open?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

No. It’s closed at Ardagh.

• Advertisement

Kerry boundary to Ardagh is open. Ardagh is only a few ks outside newcastlewest so I would say about half is open.
    As far as i am aware there is an 800m diversion going in around a farmyard in Ardagh and if that is what is being completed now I would see the section closed for a fairly substantial period of time.
    Surface from Barnagh to Templeglantine is average at best so that leaves only about 15kms of decent cycleway open.
    I used to run it regularly and the surface wasn't a problem for that but parts were muddy and there are alot of galvanised piping cattle grid crossings that might not be much fun on a bicycle if they are wet.
    Honestly I'd wait for completion of works if you are intending on making a trip. The addition of Listowel will be a big bonus as you will be within 15kms of the sea at Ballybunion which is a pretty flat spin in and out of Listowel and worth a trip

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭tigerboon

The improvement works to the section from Rathkeale to Kerry Border will be starting very shortly if not already started. It's 40 odd km of resurfacing and widening to 3m width as well as upgrading junctions, entrances etc, so a fair scope of works. I'd imagine it's a minimum of 6 months work, maybe a year

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭codie

I hear from listowel to Rathkeale is going to be a tarred surface, apparently they have 6 million to spend on it.

codie wrote: »
    I hear from listowel to Rathkeale is going to be a tarred surface, apparently they have 6 million to spend on it.

Old railway buildings at Ardagh and Barnagh purchased also so hopefully this will mean some type of facilities for food/drinks/toilets might become available in the future. Not as much as a public toilet in Abbeyfeale town which is disgraceful with the GST more or less finishing there as it stands.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭NCW13

codie wrote: »

£5m to spend. Includes tarmac on the whole route, an 800m diversion to avoid one farmers yard (frankly ridiculous, but then check his political connections), and installing cattle crossings where necessary elsewhere. Seems like good value to me. 40km @ 3m fully tarmaced for £5m. But I'm not a QS.

As for the current state of the track. Between Barna and Abbeyfeale it's really good. Just watch out for the one local who seems to have the right to drive along it. WTF! From NCW to Barna is fine. Could do with some maintenance for sure, but on a MTB, it's more than adequate. It's so good, I've sold my road bike. Not needed anymore.

Cyclists need to be educated to use bells. And then walkers / joggers either need to ditch the head phones or get used to screaming and jumping into hedges as cyclists creep up beside them ringing their bells. Honestly. Slowing down to 1kph, point at my bell and they loose their **** some of them. To be fair, they apologise and usually make the statement "I'm always complaining about cyclists not having bells, but.........you do!" All good fun. A fabulous and completely under utilised amenity. Hopefully that changes.

• Advertisement
Advertisement