Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reducing your chance of getting a puncture.

Options
  • 23-06-2020 7:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭

I'm considering getting a set of Gator tyres for a Giant P-R2 Disc wheelset.

The other option is to fit Tubeless tyres to the rims, assuming that the rims are compatible.

Which would be the best option to reduce your chances of getting a puncture.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,543 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Gatorskins do have some enhanced puncture protection, true, but not to the extent that the marketing would have you believe. Plus they are dicey in the wet unfortunately. I would take the odd puncture over a slide any day of the week.

A good compromise is Conti Grand Prix 4 seasons. Better puncture resistance than most race-oriented tyres, and pretty darn good on wet roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

^^ This.

Michelin Pro4 Endurance are also a good all round tyre.

You should ensure that you have the correct pressure in your tyres to avoid pinch flats - once a week for normal butyl tubes and every day for latex.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭theunforgiven

I second the Michelin Pro 4 Endurance. I think I only had 1 puncture in two years on a set of these.
    They size up bigger than stated, if I remember the 25's I had looked like 28's when inflated.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

They size up bigger than stated, if I remember the 25's I had looked like 28's when inflated.

Yeah - they're well oversized. The older Pro4 Service Course were the same. The more recent Michelin Power range seem to be closer to stated size.

I've over 3,500km on a pair of Pro4 Endurance that get quite a lot of use in the city and no punctures*.

*No doubt I'll get a puncture the next time I take the bike out

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

What type of cycling you doing OP? I've been commuting daily and all year round into dublin city (20km per day) on conti 4 seasons for 2 yrs and only had 2 punctures so far.

Very good tyre and strikes a nice balance between grip, speed and puncture resistance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭onlineweb

jon1981 wrote: »
    What type of cycling you doing OP? I've been commuting daily and all year round into dublin city (20km per day) on conti 4 seasons for 2 yrs and only had 2 punctures so far.

Very good tyre and strikes a nice balance between grip, speed and puncture resistance.

I’m doing approx 35km every couple of days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Use conti 4 seasons cycle plenty of back roads and find them a very good all round tyre .

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭byrnem31

MojoMaker wrote: »
    Gatorskins do have some enhanced puncture protection, true, but not to the extent that the marketing would have you believe. Plus they are dicey in the wet unfortunately. I would take the odd puncture over a slide any day of the week.

A good compromise is Conti Grand Prix 4 seasons. Better puncture resistance than most race-oriented tyres, and pretty darn good on wet roads.

Yeah gator skins are not great in the wet at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

Been using Gatorskins for years without any major hassles with punctures, don't tend to race into turns though so maybe haven't experienced them to be as slippy as others might have. Any kind of nick in them and they're very exposed, usually I'd bin them then. Don't cycle in grit and adapt your tire pressure a little for wet and dry conditions and it probably helps a bit too.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,268 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I find the Schwalbe Durano Plus to be really good.

Good grip , good puncture resistance and low rolling resistance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Gatorskins do provide the puncture protection they claim in my experience, as in you fit them then you don't get any punctures anymore. I think I've had about 2 in the last 3 years of commuting on mine, one piece of metal that would have punctured a car and another that might have been from a syringe.

Never had any slippage from them either and I commute all year round on them.

I do plan on trying something else next time though just to see if theres anything to all the rolling resistance and poor ride quality reports but I've tried other peoples bikes plenty of times and cant see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Another vote for Schwalbe Durano Plus from me.
    Commute on them all year round and no punctures. Like any tyres, you have to check the pressure regularly but I find them great

• Registered Users Posts: 24,956 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

+1 on the Durano Plus. I average about one puncture per 10,000kms on them. The sidewall eventually weakens but that's after very high mileage.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Drake66

+1 on the Durano Plus. I average about one puncture per 10,000kms on them. The sidewall eventually weakens but that's after very high mileage.

Quick question. Do you find them tricky to get back on the rim when you are fixing the puncture?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

onlineweb wrote: »
    I'm considering getting a set of Gator tyres for a Giant P-R2 Disc wheelset.

The other option is to fit Tubeless tyres to the rims, assuming that the rims are compatible.

Which would be the best option to reduce your chances of getting a puncture.

If you are not doing the following already then start in order to decrease your chances of puncturing, regardless of tyre choice...

1. Buy a track pump with gauge and pump tyres weekly to recommended pressure.
    2. Every week turn your bike upside down and with a sharp knife remove bits of glass or other debris from front and back tyres.
    3. Look at wear indicators on tyres. Usually a couple of holes/indents in the tyre, to give you an idea of tyre life
    4. Make sure you have good rim tape of the right size covering the spokes.
    5. Use the correct tyre and tube size for your rim/wheel. Don't buy very cheap tubes...
    6. Buy a tyre which others on here have experience with. Gatorskins, 4 Seasons ect...

Happy cycling.

And if you are doing all of the above already...apologies.

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    ....turn your bike upside down ....
    Oh dear! :eek:

Please familiarise yourself with Rule 49:

https://www.velominati.com/

Drake66 wrote: »
    Quick question. Do you find them tricky to get back on the rim when you are fixing the puncture?
    No - can't recall any difficulty except when it's bitterly cold and my hands are frozen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Oh dear! :eek:

Please familiarise yourself with Rule 49:

https://www.velominati.com/

Rule 49// Keep the rubber side down.It is completely unacceptable to intentionally turn one’s steed upside down for any reason under any circumstances. Besides the risk of scratching the saddle, levers and stem, it is unprofessional and a disgrace to your loyal steed. The risk of the bike falling over is increased, wheel removal/replacement is made more difficult and your bidons will leak. The only reason a bicycle should ever be in an upside down position is during mid-rotation while crashing. This Rule also applies to upside down saddle-mount roof bars.

Yikes!! Sorry OP for this appalling advice...

Advertisement