Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chainring replacement and tabs

Options
  • 23-06-2020 7:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭

i'm planning to replace the large chainring(T44) on my son's bike. It's quite worn .

The ring has a tab between the crank and the ring - to prevent chain jam, if the chain should fall off the ring between the ring and crank.

Can that tab be removed from the old ring and used on the new ring OR do you have to buy a ring with a tab already inserted. It seems to be a press fit ?
    And all of the chainrings I see advertised seem to have no chain tab....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Anchises wrote: »
    i'm planning to replace the large chainring(T44) on my son's bike. It's quite worn .

The ring has a tab between the crank and the ring - to prevent chain jam, if the chain should fall off the ring between the ring and crank.

Can that tab be removed from the old ring and used on the new ring OR do you have to buy a ring with a tab already inserted. It seems to be a press fit ?
    And all of the chainrings I see advertised seem to have no chain tab....

Should come with the tab. Post up make and model of original and one your looking at if possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Anchises

I ordered this one without doing all the research first. And it does not have a tab.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00365US4E/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The bike is a Giant Talon 2 Frame No: GE 9M0064 9 speed.

No idea how old it is ...must be 10 or more .

Trying to get a few more years out of it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭letape

Edit: Ignore my post. Looks like 4 arm chainring might be what you need

http://www.photobox.ie/slideshow?album_id=5879662592

Hope these are visable to you . :)

4 stud , yes. But where to see them online ?

I ordered this one without doing all the research first. And it does not have a tab.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00365US4E/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The bike is a Giant Talon 2 Frame No: GE 9M0064 9 speed.

No idea how old it is ...must be 10 or more .

Trying to get a few more years out of it :)

Has it arrived as I think the tab is at 6 o clock according to thy picture. I might be wrong but pretty much all shimano outer chain ring had the tabs and many still do?

• Advertisement

I'm looking at the new one ..arrived today .. now and it has no tab at all.

It has shinier steel studs on the outer edge but they are just the width of the stud. Do not protrude beyond the rings surface. Appear on the amazon pic as small white circles. Hard to know why they are there . Balance ? I had assumed one of those was the stud to prevent chain jam.

I'm looking at the new one ..arrived today .. now and it has no tab at all.

It has shinier steel studs on the outer edge but they are just the width of the stud. Do not protrude beyond the rings surface. Appear on the amazon pic as small white circles. Hard to know why they are there . Balance ? I had assumed one of those was the stud to prevent chain jam.

Strange it didn't have the tab as its a real pain if the chain gets caught there. If there is a space to press in the old tab then I would give a shot or return it for refund and get a chainring with the tab.

I 'll check with the supplier to see if a ring with tab exists in their stick.

I came across this thread discussing that tab , just for interest.

https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-mechanics/842392-outer-chainring-no-pin-behind-crank-arm.html

No luck with Supplier . No rings with tab.

I spotted this on amazon. It's a chainguard to attach to the outside of the chainring. Would that give the same protection as the tab ?
    The chain would be retained by it , should it hop off the ring.
    It is , of course , plastic......Wonder how long it would last.

I've seen metal ones too. Might be the best option at this stage

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Chytaii-Chainring-Guard-Protector-Replacement/dp/B075XJKQFF/ref=sr_1_20?dchild=1&keywords=metal+chain+guard+44t&qid=1593004683&s=sports&sr=1-20

Advertisement