Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Daughter - Bike

Options
  • 23-06-2020 12:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭

My daughter 16 has been using her friends bike on a few mini cycles locally . I understand bike shops are selling out at present but what type of bike would be suitable for a teenage girl to purchase and how much am i looking at moneywise?
    Its only for cycling to friends houses 5-6K away ana maybe they going on a 20K cycle an odd day?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Personally I would try and get her something functional. A bike where she feels secure (can get on and off easily), can carry things (basket/carrier), can cycle on wet days or when the ground is wet (mudguards).

something like the attached advert for example.

https://www.adverts.ie/ladies-bikes/womens-bike/20680577

Buy 2nd hand if you can and buy a good lock. (Abus, Kryptonite)

also a front and rear light she can remove if locking the bike somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

Looks fair enough but its more like something my wife might cycle more so than my daughter....from my old school knowledge would a more racer type model might suit her better or are they too expensive , out of fashion ??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

LuasSimon wrote: »
    My daughter 16 has been using her friends bike on a few mini cycles locally . I understand bike shops are selling out at present but what type of bike would be suitable for a teenage girl to purchase and how much am i looking at moneywise?
    Its only for cycling to friends houses 5-6K away ana maybe they going on a 20K cycle an odd day?

What kind of bike does her friend have?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    What kind of bike does her friend have?

good question , dont know , i should try find out. Wasnt sure what teenage girls cycle these dats

• Registered Users Posts: 5,817 ✭✭✭fat bloke

LuasSimon wrote: »
    good question , dont know , i should try find out. Wasnt sure what teenage girls cycle these dats

What's amazing is that they're cycling at all. Up until 3 months ago the very thought of it was anathema to your modern teenage girl. Try and get her something decent so she enjoys the activity. It's just a pity now the way demand is gone that you can't just go out and pick one up. Demand is mad, prices are up.

There's a nice Orbea MTB just gone up on the forum. MTB's are well cool at the minute, and rare as hen's teeth in the shops.

• Advertisement
Advertisement