Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driveway ramp distance to tree

Options
  • 23-06-2020 9:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 35

We want to build a driveway on our house in the next months and want to apply for planning for a ramp ("dishing" I think it's called) in front.

There is a tree on the footpath (not immediately in front but close) and the info I got was that you had to contact parks and trees first.

http://www.dublincity.ie/main-menu-services-roads-and-traffic-road-maintenance-and-street-repair/modify-footpath-allow

I got a response from them saying the tree has to be 2,5 meters from the ramp at least to protect the roots.

I do not understand this as many ramps in my neighborhood are just beside the tree when they could have built it further away as there is room.

Is this because they were done ages ago and regulation was different or they did it without planing permission and don't caring at all?

Also, some people have a driveway without a ramp built and they just put a log or big piece of wood to act as ramp. Is this something "legal" or just a thing that people turn a blind eye to?

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

galycos wrote: »
    We want to build a driveway on our house in the next months and want to apply for planning for a ramp ("dishing" I think it's called) in front.

There is a tree on the footpath (not immediately in front but close) and the info I got was that you had to contact parks and trees first.

http://www.dublincity.ie/main-menu-services-roads-and-traffic-road-maintenance-and-street-repair/modify-footpath-allow

I got a response from them saying the tree has to be 2,5 meters from the ramp at least to protect the roots.

I do not understand this as many ramps in my neighborhood are just beside the tree when they could have built it further away as there is room.

Is this because they were done ages ago and regulation was different or they did it without planing permission and don't caring at all?

Also, some people have a driveway without a ramp built and they just put a log or big piece of wood to act as ramp. Is this something "legal" or just a thing that people turn a blind eye to?

Thank you.

I recently got planning for same. It was 900mm from a tree. This was DLR though. I just put the planning in i never checked.

How close are you planning to go?

Is there scope to move it further away?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

galycos wrote: »

Thank you.

I recently applied for a new vehicular entrance for a client in DCC. Tree in the middle of the path. I expressed it could be a problem.

Refusal as the tree was mature and parks had no suitable place to relocate.

PS. You don’t actually apply for permission to dip the path. The council will do that subject to a grant of permission for a vehicular entrance in the boundary wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 galycos

I have room if I put the entrance on the other side, so no problems in that regards.
    Think I will go for that but I do not understand how other neighbors did it.

Advertisement