Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RSJs reuse of existing joists

Options
  • 23-06-2020 8:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm having some renovation work done on an old house (maybe 1970/80s), a few internal walls knocked, RSJs put in, some flooring replaced - have an engineer completion cert on the RSJs, but looking around the place before it's all boxed in / made pretty, I'm seeing a lot of carpentry where joints have small pieces of wood jammed in (shims?) to keep things in place around joists where they rest on the flange of RSJs, some joist hangers that look a little bent out of shape etc.

Question is, is this pretty standard in domestic building work, and used to level things out / accommodate for discrepancies in the wood dimensions (particularly when existing wood is reused), or something to be concerned about. With some of the joist hangers in particular, the metal seems like the type that would lose a lot of strength if bent the wrong way, quite thin.

Grateful for any advice - I might be imagining problems.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,076 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

In this case, pics with specific questions would be very helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Private Joker

jc1001 wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm having some renovation work done on an old house (maybe 1970/80s), a few internal walls knocked, RSJs put in, some flooring replaced - have an engineer completion cert on the RSJs, but looking around the place before it's all boxed in / made pretty, I'm seeing a lot of carpentry where joints have small pieces of wood jammed in (shims?) to keep things in place around joists where they rest on the flange of RSJs, some joist hangers that look a little bent out of shape etc.

Question is, is this pretty standard in domestic building work, and used to level things out / accommodate for discrepancies in the wood dimensions (particularly when existing wood is reused), or something to be concerned about. With some of the joist hangers in particular, the metal seems like the type that would lose a lot of strength if bent the wrong way, quite thin.

Grateful for any advice - I might be imagining problems.

I would suggest taking a photo and sending it to your engineer. He knows what the rsj was designed for.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭jc1001

I would suggest taking a photo and sending it to your engineer. He knows what the rsj was designed for.

Thanks Private Joker, sydthebeat. The engineer has signed off on the RSJs, but isn't that more about how the RSJs are installed / supported / assembled rather than anything hanging off them. Q was more about general building standards / 1st fix carpentry approaches. I've no reason to suspect the builder is anything less than competent - just have no experience in this area and was surprised how kludgy some of the joints looked. I'll try to get some pics that give more insight - thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Private Joker

jc1001 wrote: »
    Thanks Private Joker, sydthebeat. The engineer has signed off on the RSJs, but isn't that more about how the RSJs are installed / supported / assembled rather than anything hanging off them. Q was more about general building standards / 1st fix carpentry approaches. I've no reason to suspect the builder is anything less than competent - just have no experience in this area and was surprised how kludgy some of the joints looked. I'll try to get some pics that give more insight - thanks.

It's very hard to work with 50 year old material that is warped and twisted. you may have deflection and squeaky floors, assuming theres a floor above.
    I would still revert to your engineer, it may be imposing a torsional force not calculated for, however this would be very unlikely.
    In other words it's probably fine but I would still get advice, it's very hard to tell without photos.
    The engineer should be involved with how a beam is installed and supported especially how its nibbed in.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

please read the forum charter

No structural advice thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement