Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

numb toes

Options
  • 22-06-2020 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭

hi,

My three smallest toes are going numb when I am out for a ride.

I am back on the bike after a 10 yr break, new bike, new cleats, new shorts - but old shoes. They seem to fit grand and there is room in them, so I dont think they are too small.

Any clues as to what it might be ?

TIA

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,349 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

don't stay seated for too long at one time, but the main first check would be to check the position of the cleats; usually they should sit just under the ball of your foot.
    also, your saddle angle can have an impact on comfort and blood flow - what's it like at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

thanks - I thought it might be the cleats causing my heel to pitch out and numbing my outside toes as I would be driving through them, so I tried to change the angle - but they seem to be pretty much static for angle with only fore aft movement on the shoe lugs - your suggestion therefore might work, I will check the position

I checked the seat and it seems level -

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Start with the simple stuff - don't tighten your shoes too much before you start - leave some..eh..wriggle room. Your feet will swell as they get warm which could result in the shoes being too tight as the kms rack up. Much like your watch or rings on your finger get tighter in warmer weather.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,349 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

RobAMerc wrote: »
    I will check the position
    just to be more specific - the pedal axle should be just under the ball of your foot, usually.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Are you are fastening up your shoes too tightly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

What kind of pedals you using? Also check cleats. Are the shoes to small? I'd also look at the type of shoe - I started out with a pair of bog standard cycling shoes and had this issue - traded up to a pair with carbon soles which have no flex in them and this issue went away.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭Macy0161

They actually discussed this on the Ask A Cycling Coach/ TrainerRoad podcast a couple of weeks ago. Was only half listening myself but maybe worth a listen? A lot about saddle height/ shoes/ arch support iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Shoes too small or straps on too tight to echo above...
    Are they 10 years old as everything else seems to be new.
    I was getting the same issues with feet swelling and numbness and checked the shoes after about 1 year and they were a size too small...
    How far are you going on your spins? as carbon soles are very expensive and after buying a pair theyve not really improved any of the other issues I was getting. (hot foot etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Spd cleats - i used to wear spd sl cleats previously.

The shoes would have big mileage to ne fair, i used tipp do a lot of cycling previously. 50km once a week plus 100 km weekends and 16km daily commute.

I probably stopped using them 5 yrs ago.

They don't feel too small.

Advertisement