Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roof bars & racks

Options
  • 22-06-2020 4:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I'm trying to figure out how to transport two bikes for an upcoming holiday in Ireland. We have a VW Touran with roof rails (no towbar). The boot will be jammed so no room there. Did a some research but I quickly got overwhelmed. Is there a budget friendly roof bar and rack combo or do I have to buy both separately? Saw some good review of the Saris Bones EX 3 boot rack, would that be a better option?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭doiredoire

Hello,

I'm trying to figure out how to transport two bikes for an upcoming holiday in Ireland. We have a VW Touran with roof rails (no towbar). The boot will be jammed so no room there. Did a some research but I quickly got overwhelmed. Is there a budget friendly roof bar and rack combo or do I have to buy both separately? Saw some good review of the Saris Bones EX 3 boot rack, would that be a better option?

I bought one of these, not this exact one one but the one that carries three bikes. At first I was very wary of the suction coming loose but it’s really good. Fully trust it now

https://www.lightinthebox.com/en/p/bike-trunk-mount-rack-easy-to-install-road-cycling-mountain-bike-mtb-rubber-aluminium-alloy-black-dark-blue-2-pcs_p6839202.html?currency=EUR&litb_from=paid_adwords_shopping&sku=1_50&country_code=ie&utm_source=google_shopping&utm_medium=cpc&adword_mt=&adword_ct=406688497092&adword_kw=&adword_pos=&adword_pl=&adword_net=u&adword_tar=&adw_src_id=1463064549_8638447838_95309045708_pla-528896765980&gclid=CjwKCAjwrcH3BRApEiwAxjdPTTMYIEbe4wP3wXbsHZLCO5qIvFS9ywxgj92iJCMoNapdH_POU6I3yBoCnT8QAvD_BwE

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

I've used a friend's Seasucker mount which is similar to the above (but a lot more expensive) to carry a couple of race bikes.

We were carrying some spare bikes during a stage race and it didn't budge an inch - despite some fairly rough roads and tight turns.

Well worth the money.

Link >>> https://www.seasucker.com/collections/bike

• Registered Users Posts: 8,215 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Check the Thule website. Input you car make/model and it will tell u what you need.

Cheapest option is a tailgate carrier. E.g. Saris bones.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Downside of a tailgate mounted carrier is it's difficult to get access to the boot while the bikes are loaded. You might be able to lift it a tiny bit to squeeze something at the corner, but nothing substantial. You might also encounter paint scratches from pedals etc, or from the mounting straps depending on system.

Upside is you won't accidentally drive into carpark barriers or toll bridge "car only" lanes forgetting the bikes are up above.
    (I've not done this - yet, but seen loads of pics of it!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Plastik

daragh_ wrote: »
    I've used a friend's Seasucker mount which is similar to the above (but a lot more expensive) to carry a couple of race bikes.

We were carrying some spare bikes during a stage race and it didn't budge an inch - despite some fairly rough roads and tight turns.

Well worth the money.

Link >>> https://www.seasucker.com/collections/bike

I changed car recently from the cavernous Skoda Octavia that'll take any amount of bikes in the boot to a hatchback so had to buy a rack. Hanging something off the back of the car wasn't an option seeing as I'd likely be carrying 30kg of full-suss mtbs regularly enough. Considered everything else from sinking the cost of a hitch into the car, and getting a proper hitch carrier, to buying feet, bars and thule bike carriers for the roof, to the suction options.

In the end I bought a sea-sucker mini-bomber 2 for about €500. All-in, no more expensive than either of the other two options, and fully compatible with any car I'll ever own again - or like you used, for trips with the lads, or races etc. Considered some of the cheaper sucker options - Rockbros and another I can't recall - but for the sake of piece of mind I bought the branded, warrantied version.

Absolutely rock solid bit of kit. Have put two big enduro bikes on the roof and tanked up and down motorways at 120kph with no worry of them coming loose.

I use the seasucker talon carrier. Expensive , yes, but it fits/removed in seconds.
    I didn't want a rack that was fiddley to fit, which means I'd probably leave it on the car from March to September each year. It also means that the only contact point with my car are the suction cups,which means no risk of scratches/dents from the carrier or bike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Hello,

If you already have the rails, halfords bars and bike carriers are the cheapest and easiest option. Have had mine for maybe 6 years now. No issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,817 ✭✭✭fat bloke

FYI.

I'll be putting ads up later, but I'm selling a pair of Thule 598 (the good ones) roof mounted bike racks.

and also a tow bar, mounted, retractable (tilt and slide), Atera Strada 3 bike carrier. I think it actually carry 4 bikes with an accessory, I must check that out, but tbh I wouldn't anyway. 3 bikes are nicely spaced out from each other.

Here's them in action

kiD0BVv.png

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I'm collecting a Thule 598 Proride from CSS on Friday.
    Apparently to fit my BMW roofbars, I had to get a special adaptor pack :rolleyes: - went with CSS because Halfords online wouldn't order them for me and when you phone the shops here they never answer.

@fat bloke - too late for me now but why are you selling your 591s?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,817 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Sorry. Mine are the 598's. The one with the torque limiting ratchet thingy for safer clamping onto carbon frames.

Changed the car to a 3 door hatch and roof rack isn't so straightforward. I'm also reluctant to fit a tow bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I'm collecting a Thule 598 Proride from CSS on Friday.
    Apparently to fit my BMW roofbars, I had to get a special adaptor pack :rolleyes: - went with CSS because Halfords online wouldn't order them for me and when you phone the shops here they never answer.

Did you have any others on it previously?

I've had 591s for years, picked up 598s recently, still haven't taken them out of the box but assume they'll fit the exact same way as the 591s.

edit: just opened the boxes, they come with the 20x20mm t-screw as standard for their own bars, and it seems the 30x24mm t-track adapter is required for BMWs, part code 889-1.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Hurrache wrote: »
    edit: just opened the boxes, they come with the 20x20mm t-screw as standard for their own bars, and it seems the 30x24mm t-track adapter is required for BMWs, part code 889-1.
    Yup. Have it ordered (a special order from Thule) via CSS.

Advertisement