Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Converting my Hybrid Bike

Options
  • 22-06-2020 8:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭

I have a Hybrid Giant Escape Disc 1. I'm looking to make a few changes, it is a comfortable bike, with tubeless tyres and disc brakes. It also has a lightweight ALUXX aluminium frame with composite forks. However, I want to try to improve its performance and speed.

1. I plan to change the handlebars to drop bars; I understand that I will need new breaks, shifters, cables etc.

2. I will also switch the wheels and tyres to something slimmer and lighter. The tyres are currently 38 mm, I'm considering changing them to 28 mm.

I will probably end up spending more on the bike than its worth, however it will be my summer project. Let me know if you have any advice or suggestions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

Most of the cost of changing would be in getting STI shifters. Is it 3x9 speed? You might get a pair of second-hand shifters on the adverts sub forum. I wouldn't change the wheels. You should be able to put 28c tyres on the existing wheels.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭onlineweb

Most of the cost of changing would be in getting STI shifters. Is it 3x9 speed? You might get a pair of second-hand shifters on the adverts sub forum. I wouldn't change the wheels. You should be able to put 28c tyres on the existing wheels.

Yes, its 3x9 speed. Good idea!

Advertisement