Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motorcycle wiring

Options
  • 21-06-2020 8:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hello all I've just bought a 1993 cbr 900rr fireblade which I'm streetfighting, the previous owner had started doing it but gave up I think I know why🙄
    When I got it home and removed the tank, the whole wiring loom is piled up in a ball underneath in a bad mess,
    I'm living near bunclody Co. Wexford does anyone know of anyone that could help me with sorting out the wiring thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Philipx

• Registered Users Posts: 5,435 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

If its such a mess I wouldn't try to get the old stuff going again. Half the connectors are probably decayed and corroded and you probably have wire breaks too. You get an electrics issue with a patched up mess like that and you'll be chasing your tail forever. Typically you can buy ready made wiring looms either original/OEM or aftermarket for maybe €100 or so. Alternatively get the wiring diagram and the old loom to gauge the appropriate color and lengths and make one from scratch your self. For a bike of that vintage things should still be pretty simple and doable for an interested amateur.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mjolnir

If its such a mess I wouldn't try to get the old stuff going again. Half the connectors are probably decayed and corroded and you probably have wire breaks too. You get an electrics issue with a patched up mess like that and you'll be chasing your tail forever. Typically you can buy ready made wiring looms either original/OEM or aftermarket for maybe €100 or so. Alternatively get the wiring diagram and the old loom to gauge the appropriate color and lengths and make one from scratch your self. For a bike of that vintage things should still be pretty simple and doable for an interested amateur.

^^
    Rip it out and get a new one, fires happen due to shody wiring plus god knows what "fixs" previous owners have done.
    https://www.motorparts-online.com/en
    Basically on online breakers decent prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Graymo1628

Thanks people ��yeah I think it's the safest way out in fairness, its bad now bits and pieces added on here and there blue insulation tape everywhere ��thanks for the help

Hahaha I'm starting to think that's a possibility @Philipx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

I will be interested to hear how this pans out as I have a slightly similar issue the wiring leading to the rectifier on my Dragstar. The last owner did a terrible job on it cutting it up and using tape to put it together again. No way of putting a new rectifier on it at the moment. Not to mention the oversize battery and missing battery sheld and retaining strap!

Dan.

I found a 292page workshop manual for the bike with a full wiring diagram, has everything on it including the colors of all the wires so I'm printing it off and going investigating myself I know it's going to be a lot of work but I'm positive I should be able to figure it all out

I will be interested to hear how this pans out as I have a slightly similar issue the wiring leading to the rectifier on my Dragstar. The last owner did a terrible job on it cutting it up and using tape to put it together again. No way of putting a new rectifier on it at the moment. Not to mention the oversize battery and missing battery sheld and retaining strap!
    I found a 292page workshop manual online after hrs of searching, it has everything in it including a full wiring diagram with all the components and best of all the colors of everywire, so I'm going to try do it myself, it's going to be a lot of work but I'm sure I'll figure it all out, maybe search the Yr and model of your bike for workshop manual

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

Ooooh, mastering the dark arts, let us know how you get on - that stuff strikes the fear of God into me.

Hahahaha I wudnt be too fond of it myself but I'll let you know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

A good tip is to remove the loom and fix it to a big sheet of cardboard with cable ties.
    This way as you make a new one you can see the exact length and bends needed to produce a new loom.
    Its a lot of work though making a reliable loom, if you do so make sure you buy a very good set of crimpers and quality connectors for whatever needs to be joined.
    Nearly good enough is very often not good enough at all when it comes to reliable electrical connections.
    Easternbeaver is a good source for quality components.
    Kojaycat is another
    Vehicle wiring products have good gear but not all is suitable for modernish bikes.
    Take the opportunity to improve the connectors with sealed ones if you are able to, Deutsch are good and most of the better Japanese stuff is very good as well.

bladespin wrote: »
    Ooooh, mastering the dark arts, let us know how you get on - that stuff strikes the fear of God into me.
    CJhaughey wrote: »
    A good tip is to remove the loom and fix it to a big sheet of cardboard with cable ties.
    This way as you make a new one you can see the exact length and bends needed to produce a new loom.
    Its a lot of work though making a reliable loom, if you do so make sure you buy a very good set of crimpers and quality connectors for whatever needs to be joined.
    Nearly good enough is very often not good enough at all when it comes to reliable electrical connections.
    Easternbeaver is a good source for quality components.
    Kojaycat is another
    Vehicle wiring products have good gear but not all is suitable for modernish bikes.
    Take the opportunity to improve the connectors with sealed ones if you are able to, Deutsch are good and most of the better Japanese stuff is very good as well.

That's good advice cheers ill def do that thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 33,692 ✭✭✭✭listermint

And Dielectric Grease. get some of that, ebay or amazon uk for best deals.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,435 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I made a new loom from scratch a few years back and the biggest challenge (and the priciest bit) was getting the right connectors. Say where you connect to the alternator with a 4 pin square or to the lights/indicatror switch with a 6 pin such-and-such and to the rear lights with a 3 pin rectangular all of course of a certain type and size etc.

I learned a lot and it was fun but in hindsight I wouldn't do it again and just buy an aftermarket one.

I would also get a half decent soldering iron, plenty of excellent how-to videos on YouTube.

Crimp connectors are fine, but there's no real substitiute for a properly soldered & heat shrunk connection for waterproofing & longevity

Philipx wrote: »
    I would also get a half decent soldering iron, plenty of excellent how-to videos on YouTube.

Crimp connectors are fine, but there's no real substitiute for a properly soldered & heat shrunk connection for waterproofing & longevity

Yep just got one 👍👍👍👍

I made a new loom from scratch a few years back and the biggest challenge (and the priciest bit) was getting the right connectors. Say where you connect to the alternator with a 4 pin square or to the lights/indicatror switch with a 6 pin such-and-such and to the rear lights with a 3 pin rectangular all of course of a certain type and size etc.

I learned a lot and it was fun but in hindsight I wouldn't do it again and just buy an aftermarket one.

The originals should be perfectly salvagable, buy removal tools for the pins and they can be taken out with ease.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭H_Lime

listermint wrote: »
    The originals should be perfectly salvagable, buy removal tools for the pins and they can be taken out with ease.
    I do that where possible myself. The only problems with it are you need to track down the correct crimping contact pins for that particular connector to reinstate the wire in it.
    Second issue is its likely a shyte connector when you compare it to the likes of a weatherpack or delphi type "waterproof " one so seems a shame to go to those lengths when you could go with them. Very satisfying compressing that rubber sealing gasket and hearing the audible click as she seats, expensive way to solve ocd tho:)

H_Lime wrote: »
    I do that where possible myself. The only problems with it are you need to track down the correct crimping contact pins for that particular connector to reinstate the wire in it.
    Second issue is its likely a shyte connector when you compare it to the likes of a weatherpack or delphi type "waterproof " one so seems a shame to go to those lengths when you could go with them. Very satisfying compressing that rubber sealing gasket and hearing the audible click as she seats, expensive way to solve ocd tho:)

Yes definitely upgrade where allowable but for connections into equipment original would be only option.

H_Lime wrote: »

CPC

or

RS

Should have most, if not all, you'd need.

I'd be wary of getting connectors for the bike on Ebay, more than likely all you'll get will be Chinese knock off crap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

Farnell too

bladespin wrote: »
    Farnell too

Farnells & CPC are all the one, I think CPC is their rebranded online shop ;)

Advertisement