Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

South west facing front garden

Options
  • 20-06-2020 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

I’m looking for advice on a 4-bed bungalow design for a new site I recently purchased. The site is front facing in a south to south westerly direction. I am struggling to come up with a design that maximises the sun location in the main living areas during the day and evening.

Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

People go to college and study arch design. What your asking for, is what people do for a living. You want someone to design your house for free on boards.ie?

Ive designed houses where the front is south /southwest facing. One solution is to arrange the footprint with an entrance at the side of the house, arranging all main habitable rooms to the front and all ‘wet’ rooms to the rear.(north)

Let kitchen/dining/living open plan space span across from front to back. (Kitchen: East morning, living: west evening) create courtyard or screened seating outside area to the front if possible.

You haven’t mentioned views, or why it has to be a bungalow. But it doesn’t mater this is all pointless without a site specific inspection.

My advice, stop wasting your time and get someone who does this for a living involved in your project - get 3 quotes

Best of luck with your design & build

• Subscribers Posts: 41,077 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Med101007 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

I’m looking for advice on a 4-bed bungalow design for a new site I recently purchased. The site is front facing in a south to south westerly direction. I am struggling to come up with a design that maximises the sun location in the main living areas during the day and evening.

Readily solved with clever entrance placement and some considered landscaping

• Registered Users Posts: 12,223 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Hi everyone,

get this book, and read it, especially the first few chapters
    https://www.gilleducation.ie/secondary-construction-studies/secondary-construction-studies/construction-technology
    don't baulk at it because it is LC

The TOC maybe from an earlier edition but it gives the flavour

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

BryanF wrote: »
    People go to college and study arch design. What your asking for, is what people do for a living. You want someone to design your house for free on boards.ie?

Ive designed houses where the front is south /southwest facing. One solution is to arrange the footprint with an entrance at the side of the house, arranging all main habitable rooms to the front and all ‘wet’ rooms to the rear.(north)

Let kitchen/dining/living open plan space span across from front to back. (Kitchen: East morning, living: west evening) create courtyard or screened seating outside area to the front if possible.

You haven’t mentioned views, or why it has to be a bungalow. But it doesn’t mater this is all pointless without a site specific inspection.

My advice, stop wasting your time and get someone who does this for a living involved in your project - get 3 quotes

What a terrible post to someone asking for a bit of help but at least he got some from the poster below. I'd say thats the sort of thing he was looking for rather than a full set of construction drawings put up here for him.
    If you don't want to get involved in a discussion on a message board you're probably in ther wrong place.
    sydthebeat wrote: »
    Readily solved with clever entrance placement and some considered landscaping

• Registered Users Posts: 12,223 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

If you don't want to get involved in a discussion on a message board you're probably in ther wrong place.

perhaps you should reflect on this in the context of the difference between getting involved in a discussion and making a contribution.
    You certainly fulfilled on the former, but not on the latter which is where the value is

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,846 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

BryanF wrote: »

I read the first line and though to myself, what a miserable reply.
    I figured that you must be a sour architect who thinks that people are not entitled to make their own designs......... just like yer man off the tele.

But then you actually gave him exactly what he asked for!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Seve OB wrote: »
    I read the first line and though to myself, what a miserable reply.
    I figured that you must be a sour architect who thinks that people are not entitled to make their own designs......... just like yer man off the tele.

But then you actually gave him exactly what he asked for!

Bryan gave the OP exactly what he needed.
    Then the snowflakes fell and started complaining :D

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Med101007

Thanks everyone for the advice so far.

As for BryanF, let me categorically state that I am in no way looking for anyone to design anything for me for free. In fact I have an Honours Degree in Civil Engineering and have been using BIM software for the past 5 years so I will be drawing up my own set of construction drawings using Revit. As Seve OB said your post reeked of a disgruntled architect who thinks no one should have the right to design their own home without consulting an architect. All I am asking for a bit of friendly advice on what orientation I should look to position my house before I delve into the internal design aspects.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Thanks everyone for the advice so far.

As for BryanF, let me categorically state that I am in no way looking for anyone to design anything for me for free. In fact I have an Honours Degree in Civil Engineering and have been using BIM software for the past 5 years so I will be drawing up my own set of construction drawings using Revit. As Seve OB said your post reeked of a disgruntled architect who thinks no one should have the right to design their own home without consulting an architect. All I am asking for a bit of friendly advice on what orientation I should look to position my house before I delve into the internal design aspects.

Didn’t Bryan give you that info?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,846 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Gumbo wrote: »
    Bryan gave the OP exactly what he needed.

did i not say that?

• Advertisement
Advertisement