Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cutting floor mat into not square recess

Options
  • 20-06-2020 6:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭

Hi

I have a cutout in the tiles inside my back door for a sisal mat. It's framed by
    metal edging all around. The tiler originally cut the mat but it now needs replacement.
    Measuring the opening, it's rectangular but none of the corners are exactly 90 degrees so a standard length x width cut won't work.
    Do I make a template from card or is there some better way to cut the mat to fit that I'm not seeing?

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,725 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

I'd start with a few sheets of paper shaped to fit the corners - one for each - and as many as you need to fill the space. Much easier to cut paper than card. Tape that all together in place, transfer it to a suitably sized piece of card to make a stiff template. Check that it drops in perfectly, and if everything's fine, use that to cut the mat. Flip it over and mark/cut on the back of the mat if you've got any significant "pile" on the mat.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭skipper756

Why not just use the old mat as a template?

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭galvo_clare

skipper756 wrote: »
    Why not just use the old mat as a template?

Old mat was dumped before I realised I had this problem. D'Oh!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,870 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Use one piece of cardboard or whatever else you have to make a template.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

How far out of square is the recess?, sisal is pretty flexible and you may be able to just jam it in to the existing recess with force.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭galvo_clare

CJhaughey wrote: »
    How far out of square is the recess?, sisal is pretty flexible and you may be able to just jam it in to the existing recess with force.

Not that much out of square and there's a gap between the plywood base and the metal edging. Maybe that might work too.

Advertisement