Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garden Office/Room - any advice welcomed!

Options
  • 20-06-2020 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭

Hope this is in the right place, I had a search but I couldn't find a similar query.

We are considering adding a garden office behind the house we're buying. We've been browsing the different suppliers online, we'll probably go for one of the wooden cabin types. We're looking at max 5mx3m.

Can we just put it in the garden without any planning/notifying council?
    We want to put it along the boundary wall (with a gap between, not tight to the wall), which is about 6ft high, so does the fact that it is higher than the wall cause an issue?

We will chat to neighbours beforehand, but can they put in an objection to stop it? We don't want to get off on wrong-foot just as we move in!

Don't mind going through the correct process, its just that I can't find it!
    We're in South Dublin Co Co.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2001/si/600/made/en/print#sched2

Read schedule 2, part 1, (exempted development regs)

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭coughdrops

Thank you Bryan - appreciate it!

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Aidan Harney

Not sure if you're buying or building.
    If building, there's a super thread on boards.
    Called..
    My garden Room Build.
    In...
    DIY.

Good luck.
    A

I've seen that thread, it is brilliant!

We'd be buying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Stanford

A shed of that size would be exempted development and would not require planning provided it is NOT used for someone to sleep in or live in, if it is used as an office then it needs to fulfill the Building Regs as regards ventilation, heating etc.

Best to have a chat with the neighbour about the height issue and make sure excess rainwater does not flow into the neighbours property.

• Advertisement

BryanF wrote: »
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2001/si/600/made/en/print#sched2

Read schedule 2, part 1, (exempted development regs)

Am I right in saying a stand alone wooden room would come under Class 3?
    I get bamboozled by it all :(

"CLASS 3

The construction, erection or placing within the curtilage of a house of any tent, awning, shade or other object, greenhouse, garage, store, shed or other similar structure."

Stanford wrote: »
    A shed of that size would be exempted development and would not require planning provided it is NOT used for someone to sleep in or live in, if it is used as an office then it needs to fulfill the Building Regs as regards ventilation, heating etc.

Best to have a chat with the neighbour about the height issue and make sure excess rainwater does not flow into the neighbours property.

Thank you - yes we will speak to them beforehand, hopefully they are ok with it.

We're happy to make sure it is fitted out properly, just wanted to make sure it was a runner at all. I was a bit afraid I'd go to a showroom, get dazzled by a sales pitch and end up buying some yoke we're not allowed.

You may be in trouble if you run a business from it as then you will need to be mindful of parking, noise etc. No problem for use as a personal office

Mostly will be used by DH for the hobbies (very quiet nerdy hobbies) that run the risk of taking over the house.

Neighbours should be glad of it actually, they won't have to listen to me give out when I trip over something, if it is all self-contained outside :D

Good man, if you can afford it the metal sheds require no annual maintenance whereas the timber ones are a pain in the ass, also you really should put down a layer of concrete screed with a damproof membrane as a foundation, don't just put it on top of grass!!

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

coughdrops wrote: »
    Mostly will be used by DH for the hobbies (very quiet nerdy hobbies) that run the risk of taking over the house.

Neighbours should be glad of it actually, they won't have to listen to me give out when I trip over something, if it is all self-contained outside :D

Sounds ancillary to the main dwelling then so the normal shed exemptions apply.

Advertisement