Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dock leaves in meadow for silage

Options
  • 20-06-2020 10:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭

I have a meadow for silage the end of June. There is a lot of outbreaks of dock leaves in various patches. I didn't notice them creeping up and they have exploded.I don't want them coming out in the silage. Is it too late to spray? Or should I just manually pull them out where I can?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

The dock seeds are green at the moment. What I did one year, was waited until the silage was down, and collected as many as I could out of the swath. You can spray later on, when the leaves reappear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭9935452

The dock seeds are green at the moment. What I did one year, was waited until the silage was down, and collected as many as I could out of the swath. You can spray later on, when the leaves reappear.

Thats exactly what one of our customers does. When mowing they pick the docks out of the swarth

• Registered Users Posts: 3,242 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Same here. Pick as many as possible when cut but one year, they shot up so I went out and pulled before cutting.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Track9

If seeds are still green , would it be worth considering spot spraying from Tracor or ATV . That way there would be approaching a 100 % kill off on Growing docks ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭TooOldBoots

Weather is no good for spraying now. Once the plant has gone to seed then by the time the spay has killed it the seeds will have ripened.
    Best option is to cut silage, then wait for regrowth leaves of about 6 inchs+ in size then hit it hard with a spray like forefront.
    Cattle will not eat the dock stems in the silage, they probably wouldn't eat the leaves or seed only its mulched into the silage. It reduces silage quality and no doubt the taste, but a hungry animal will be glad of it next January.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,508 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Track9 wrote: »
    If seeds are still green , would it be worth considering spot spraying from Tracor or ATV . That way there would be approaching a 100 % kill off on Growing docks ?

You’d tramp an awful lot of silage if it’s any way grown.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

In a year that fodder will be short the docks will add bulk. And they go through a harvester lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Mules

I said I'd update the thread in case anyone else has a dock problem. I murdered them all with a handheld weedwiper and glyphosate :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,947 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Mules wrote: »
    I said I'd update the thread in case anyone else has a dock problem. I murdered them all with a handheld weedwiper and glyphosate :)

Well done
    Keep a lookout in the spring as you may have to hit them for a second time

Advertisement