Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting thermal image of solid stone wall v single block.

Options
  • 19-06-2020 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭

I thought I would share this, some might find it interesting.

As I am stripping out a 300 year old house, I am finding all sorts of hidden gems. This was one, an old sash window that is blocked up and plastered on the outside.

This was taken last week ( Mid june 2020) when it was about 20 degrees outside. This wall is south facing, so the sun was beating down on it.

This is the basement level of the house, solid stone wall, very thick and the whole basement area is cool, temperature wise. But the heat could be felt off the blocks when I opened the window.

From the side-by-side photo taken on a FLIR ONE camera on an iphone, you can see the heat transfer. Likewise during winter, I would be expecting this block to be colder than the stone wall.

It just does to show to some that a thick solid wall does have some great insulating factor, once it is dry.

I have not opened the window yet, so I am not sure if it is a cavity block or a solid 4 inch block.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,223 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

It just does to show to some that a thick solid wall does have some great insulating factor, once it is dry.

which is why many buildings in the middle east have thick walls and are very comfortable, without aircon

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Advertisement