Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on whether to renovate or extend first

Options
  • 19-06-2020 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'm bidding on a house at the moment, typical 4 bed semi D, 1950s in Dublin and trying to decide whether its best to renovate the existing house first or build the extension we'd like first and then renovate the existing in parts (we can't afford to do it all in one go).

The house is in a liveable condition but is a probate sale and needs full renovation throughout - ie. windows, doors, insulation, carpets/flooring, redecoration etc. Also needs a downstairs WC put in, probably in the garage space/under stairs. The gas boiler is I think 78% efficient. Electrical sockets and light switches are modern with the fuse box having the trip switches. These are likely fine for now, but will need updating also in time. House has a low BER rating.

The extension would be your typical single storey 40sqm kitchen diner at the rear of the house, maybe slightly bigger with planning. Demolition of current ground floor extension required (a small room). Old kitchen to be converted into a utility. Budget around 100k for extension & new kitchen with some kind of glass doors opening onto the garden.

I would be leaning toward extension first so that we have one large nice room from the beginning that is warm and can spend most time in. And then take the renovation in pieces as time goes on. I'm aware that some pieces of work need to be done in conjunction with others. My thinking is:

Must be done as a package:
    Wall insulation, plumbing, rewire, rip up flooring for insulation putting back down basic floorboards, re-plaster & paint walls

Can be done individually:
    Build downstairs WC room partially into garage
    Flooring finishes
    Wall finishes/redecorating
    Windows
    Other joinery - Doors/Stairs/Skirting
    Gas boiler
    Heating controls
    Hot water cylinder
    Attic insulation
    Bathroom replacement

My question is does the plan work or would I meet problems integrating a new extension with old house then doing the old house?
    Have I missed items that need to be done as a package?
    Are there other things that need to be considered as single upgrades?

Advertisement