Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some starter questions please ...

Options
  • 18-06-2020 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭

Hi,
    During lockdown, when field sports all closed down, my boy decided he wanted to take up fishing. Great, I used to love fishing - 30 years ago.

We fished for trout in our small local stream with a worm and a (lead-like) weight with no success. I bought us a couple of fly-rods (long-term investment) and we moved to a bigger local river for some fly-fishing. I used to fly-fish for white trout (as we called them) on the Slaney when I was a chap.

Anyway, the river is very low now. Are we wasting our time going out of an evening at the moment? I'm happy to spend an hour on the bank, but I'd like to think we have *some* chance.

I got a few recommendations for flies, so we're kitted out ok. Just wondering do we need a bit of rain to rise the river level before we head out again.

Final question: Is evening time best for fly-fishing for trout? I seem to recall we only fished at night on the Slaney back in the day ...

Any help appreciated. Thanks!

P.S. We're in the Midlands.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

Evening time is pretty good right now, especially going into dusk. This is sedge fishing time and the fish can get quite aggressive chasing the flies.
    If you have some sedge patterns in your fly box, wet or dry (floating or sinking) then you’re in with a good chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Manuel

Thanks a million. I have some Black Gnats (wet & dry), which look not too unlike the sedge patterns I've just looked up. Shur we'll give it a crack tonight so ... and I'll report back. I'll buy some sedges then on Saturday.

Great to get some advice. I find these large tackle shops pretty useless for guidance/advice (in our area at least) and all the small ones seem to have gone out of business sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

What area are you in?

North Offaly. River Brosna.

Another question please, now that I think of it .... my boy has been reading and googling .... is sweetcorn really a good bait? It's a lot less hassle than digging for worms in this drought. And would we use a float, or just a weight? There are coarse fish in the Brosna as well as trout.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭boomdocker

Your fishing on the Brosna will be quite a bit different than what you remember on the Slaney
    The Slaney being an acidic river has small brown trout and a good run of white trout (sea trout) around now as well as a few grilse
    The Brosna is in limestone country so bigger brown trout for you and i'd imagine no run of sea trout there
    The hatch would be slightly different too
    Best bet is to have a chat with some local anglers and they will advise you what's best

On sweetcorn and worms - i'd leave them in the tin and the ground, on the assumption that you might practice catch and release
    You'd be better off with the bubble and fly for the young lad, and if there are fish you'll catch em
    A little lightweight spinning rod would do
    You could try the tiny Mepps (size 00) either, you'd have plenty of sport with them

• Advertisement

Thanks. Torrential rain last night cancelled our fishing trip. Maybe tonight.

Advertisement