Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vertical Sanding Sander?

Options
  • 17-06-2020 9:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭

:) Okay, peeps, I'm back amongst my sanding. I'm absolutely determined to get this horrendous job finished. Because the finished result will be just stunning! :D

Keeping it simple; I need to sand about the equivalent of seven door faces. That's the sort of area we're talking. 90% of it's vertical. (Rest is a ceiling area!)

And, the whole lot's covered in this vile, chalk like paint which stripper won't touch. I've tried. Believe me. So, I'm knuckling down and sanding it off. Only got my little mouse sander though. It works ~ eventually! But, some time this year would be nicer ;)

I want a bit of a beast so. I'm not trying to polish metal. I'm trying to grind paint off. My choices seem to be Random Orbital or Belt? (Forgive me that I once said I hated Belts. I was thinking of another type :o) I feel a belt could be my favourite.

Opinions, please? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭dok_golf

How much are you willing to spend?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Stigura

Fair question. As it happens, having googled half the night, I've A/ Figured out that a Belt will be far better than an Orbital.

Then, B/ I've actually got a sixty quid, plug in, cheap and cheerful make one set aside on my Amazon account. Wondering why I haven't sent for it?

I don't want to spend a fortune. Because I'm not a working tradesman. And, anyway, I've about lost faith in 'Top Brand Names'. They die, just as well as cheap crap. I just lose a shed ton more cash when they do.

Mate was down here, this evening. " Can ye look up an 18V Battery, for my Hitachi? " I did. When I told him, he walked away. Shoulders slumped.

If ye have any better ideas, I'd be interested to hear :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭dok_golf

I'd hire one. You aren't going to get something that will rip old paint off for cheap.

:confused: Well, That's a bloody interesting idea! I'd never even considered that!

So, ye reckon I'd get a bit of a beast, from a hire shop? Got to work out cheaper than buying even a no brand one, I guess?

We have a hire place somewhere round here. I'll ask my miserable mate about it. Him who asked me about the batteries.

Thanks! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,036 ✭✭✭con747

Stigura wrote: »
    :) Okay, peeps, I'm back amongst my sanding. I'm absolutely determined to get this horrendous job finished. Because the finished result will be just stunning! :D

Keeping it simple; I need to sand about the equivalent of seven door faces. That's the sort of area we're talking. 90% of it's vertical. (Rest is a ceiling area!)

And, the whole lot's covered in this vile, chalk like paint which stripper won't touch. I've tried. Believe me. So, I'm knuckling down and sanding it off. Only got my little mouse sander though. It works ~ eventually! But, some time this year would be nicer ;)

I want a bit of a beast so. I'm not trying to polish metal. I'm trying to grind paint off. My choices seem to be Random Orbital or Belt? (Forgive me that I once said I hated Belts. I was thinking of another type :o) I feel a belt could be my favourite.

Opinions, please? :)

Would these be of any use? http://mobilesandblastingdublin.com

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Advertisement

Fascinatingly outside the box notion :) Only, I think Leitrim's a bit beyond their comfort zone.

And, anyway, I quite relish the idea of Doing It Myself, frankly. I'll always pay a pro' to do what ever I'm not up to. But, I've got my teeth into this vile problem now. I'm bloody determined to see it through! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,036 ✭✭✭con747

Fascinatingly outside the box notion :) Only, I think Leitrim's a bit beyond their comfort zone.

And, anyway, I quite relish the idea of Doing It Myself, frankly. I'll always pay a pro' to do what ever I'm not up to. But, I've got my teeth into this vile problem now. I'm bloody determined to see it through! :D

I'm sure you can hire a sand blaster and then find a good hoover:)

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

Got a perfectly good hoover, as it happens! 'Special Edition Henry'. Used once and now sitting in my store room!

So, I might be able to Hire a sand blaster?! That'd bloody do it! :eek: Wow!

Now, ye see? I read all about belt sanders. Read the details, prices, reviews. Picked the one I felt would do me ..... Just couldn't hit that final button!

I've got plenty of money to pay for it. I want to get on with the job. Sander seemed the kiddie. I just had this gut thing .....

I always tell myself the gods are telling me something, when my gut says No.

Now, look how interesting this is turning out ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 73,429 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Get a belt sander with a very rough grade of sandpaper.

:confused: Urrrrrghhhh! Colm ....! That's exactly what I was Going to do. But, I baulked.

Sand blasting would get me right into the tiny gaps between the panels. It'd also mace the concave moulding trims a breeze. I'd glumly accepted all That would be a hand slog. Bit of paper in my hand.

Come on then; Make ye case. Let's beat the crap out of this thing :cool:

• Advertisement

Sandblasting is messy and slow. Belt sanding is quick and fun.

*may not be fun

:mad: :mad: :mad: Ye couldn't make this up!!!

I'd had my eye on This one:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00OU032EC/ref=crt_ewc_title_ld_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AT59ZJIRTP4C7

Only now, just Hours later? The bloody extra belts are listed as " Temporarily Out Of Stock "!!! :mad: No idea what the one place in town might / not hold. They have no belt sanders. So, may have no belts. I'd be stuck :(

Looked at sand blasters. I'd like to buy the full cabinet. Like Eric has, on " Hand Tool Rescue " (I love Eric! :D) Only, I have absolutely no use for one.

Come on then, Boards DIY Massive. Speak to me. What would You choose? Links. Reasonings. Questions?

To recap? About seven door faces of area to do. Much of it actual doors. Weird paint which strippet won't touch (:confused:) Plenty of awkward moulding, sadly. But, I have a mouse sander and two hands.

After this job? Tool goes on the shelf. For ever.

Thanks.

Get a drill sander attachment to start with and some glasspaper sanding discs.
    Cost you maybe €10-15

Try that first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

Unscrew six screws and most doors become portable. Bring the mountain to Muhammad even if that just means outside for some sandblasting.

Colm; My research showed that circulars, even orbitals, have a liability of leaving swirl patterns, if not used just so? I imagine not an issue, if ye to gloss. But, I'm using a very light, varnish like stain.

Grumpy; I'm sorry, I misled ye there. I have got doors. But, half or more this job is actually fixed wall panelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,034 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Belt sanding a ceiling has to be the digging-a-tunnel-under-Chernobyl-reactor-core of DIY jobs.

:( Couldn't agree more, mate! But, what's a man to do? Put simply? I F'd right up! This bloody paint's an absolute nightmare. I dunno what it is. Undercoat? That would make most sense, wouldn't it? If I was planning to paint brand new, bare wood, I'd undercoat it. Tried everything. Hot air? Ends up scorching the wood. Then I have to sand the scorch off :rolleyes:

Never mind. I'm a gritty little sod. I'll MTFU and just get on with it. PPE's my friend. Best of all? No bugger's paying me to do this. So, if my neck gets sore? Arms get tired? I'll stop and go do something else :) Come back to it later till I get it done. Suffice to say I've already stripped more than a doors worth with just my mouse sander! :eek: Works out at about one square foot per hour! How's That for tenacity?!

Anyway, yeah. I reckon a Belter with, as Colm says, a decent paper, should rip the surface off like Cheryl Bakers' dress.

Just a matter of deciding on precisely Which belter, now :)

Colm; My research showed that circulars, even orbitals, have a liability of leaving swirl patterns, if not used just so? I imagine not an issue, if ye to gloss. But, I'm using a very light, varnish like stain.

Grumpy; I'm sorry, I misled ye there. I have got doors. But, half or more this job is actually fixed wall panelling.

Do it with the rotary and finish with your little toy sander.

Wow! How about This, in my angle grinder, Colm? :eek:

https://www.toolstation.com/rapid-strip-paint-varnish-remover-disc/p68959

I wouldn’t!

Can you post pics of what you’re sanding? What material is it?

• Advertisement

:( Too 'Enthusiastic', ye reckon? That stripper.

Funnily enough, I'd just taken a shot, before getting my dinner! Great minds?

What it is is this tongue and groove panelling they do. Only about six mil' thick. Great stuff though. I just ballsed it by trying to paint it. I'd undercoated and glossed it. Then hit it with stripper and sanded. Right third is what Rustins paint stripper did to it. Left is after I've gone at it with the little Mouse, after the Rustins:

P6190453.jpg

Now found this fantastic stain. Johnstones 'Light Oak'. Three coats of that and plain, light wood comes up a beautiful, honey like gloss :)

Excuse the flash. But, here's my sink cover I did with it. Planed deal plank. Stained three coats deep:

P6190452.jpg

That's what I want around the place :)

Advertisement