Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Improve my crap contectivity

Options
  • 17-06-2020 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm building a new house and don't worry I'm not going to ask whats the best way of wiring it up....yet;). But my predicament now is I'm renting for the next year while my house is being built and it has really bad broadband 15mb (at best) with a really crap Sky modem/router :(:(:( wifi coverage is up and down with 4 phones/xbox/ 2 laptops, a couple of smart TVs etc and all being used because we are all working from home. I cant wire anything up as its rental house so everything is on wi-fi

Now in my new home I am planning to have a proper network set up with access points, CAT6, Switches etc getting ready for 1Gb FTTH.

My Question is it worth my while to jump the gun and buy an access point say an UniFi nanoHD and set that up on my Sky modem (is it possible with this crap sky machine) I am thinking of setting up a Ubiquiti ecosystem in my new house so it would not be a waste.

I suppose what I'm thinking at least I will get good Wi-Fi signal around my rental house and that would be one less weak link in my "network"

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Now in my new home I am planning to have a proper network set up with access points, CAT6, Switches etc getting ready for 1Gb FTTH.

Make sure all your requirements are specified in the plans ....... such as location of a central media press with suitable ducting for fibre entry, as well as Cat6 outlets and how they are wired to and terminated in the media press.
    Also allowances for coax from aerial/dish etc to the media press should be included, even if there is no intention of installing them initially.
    You can never have too many power sockets and the same applies to Cat6 faceplates IMO. ;)

In other words cover all bases because retrofitting is a huge hassle easily avoided at the planning stage.

Advertisement