Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DLRCoCo Blackrock to Sandycove

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭ImportMeHappy

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭bbuzz

The council seem to be making big moves for bikes:
    Cycle lanes on Dundrum and Blackrock main streets.
    Cycle lane on Carysfort Avenue, Goatstown Rd and Benildus Avenue.
    Few junction improvements (just some orange plastic bollards, but it’s something).
    Seem to be installing more bike racks as well, especially around bathing places.

That will be great for everyone, except for those who actually live in Sandycove and Glasthule and who have the audacity to actually use their cars.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

why, are they closing all roads in sandycove and glasthule?

[/I]
    why, are they closing all roads in sandycove and glasthule?

No, but they are about to double the volume of traffic going through Glasthule and on in to Dun Laoghaire. At the moment, anyone coming from Dalkey/Killiney direction generally turns right at the Sandycove Ave West lights on to the coast road and misses out Glasthule, unless they are heading in to Dun Laoghaire. Now, they will be joining the line of traffic that is coming off the sea front and heading back in to town, or heading up to the M50. It will also massively increase the number of cars going up Burdett Avenue, Marine Road and Ballygihan Road as well. Roads that a car can barely drive up already.

• Advertisement

I should add, i do like what it is they are trying to do, but this is a typical DLRCoCo bodge job. They have spent a lot of money on the sea front over the past few years and put precisely zero consideration in to any cycling infrastructure, other than painting a few pictures of a bike along the metals and calling it a cycle way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Great to see this. DLR had produced an updated S2S plan a couple of years ago but very little seemed to be happening with it. What is now proposed is largely an extension of that although the off-road section from Seapoint to Dun Laoghaire Harbour on the sea side of the railway has been dropped. Hopefully that can be reinstated in their medium timescale plans as well as coastal sections from the Merrion Gates to Booterstown and from Blackrock to Seapoint.

https://s2s.ie/s2s-new-plans-proposed-may-2018/

DLR have just published their draft Development Plan for 2022-28. Regretably, they have dropped all mention of the S2S and refer instead to the Dublin Bay Trail. Despite the middle word, their use of this term to date has referred to a largely inland route and not the coastal walkway and cycleway envisaged by the S2S. While they have provided some good excellent temporary cycleways between Blackrock and Sandycove, it would be a shame if the seafront route were to be dropped.
    More info and a link to the DLR online submission portal at https://s2s.ie/dlrcc-set-to-abandon-the-s2s-submissions-required-by-16th-april-2021/

• Registered Users Posts: 23,856 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Pretty disgraceful.

The temporary on-road measures are no substitute for a bespoke engineered and segregated route, to serve both local leisure cycling and cycling tourism alike.

Is it any wonder I'm so skeptical of local authorities installing "temporary" measures then throwing away the key so to speak. There must be proper planning and a definitive strategy for such projects.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

I am a bit confused by this. Given that the DLR area starts around the old Tara Towers, are we only talking about the short stretch along by Booterstown Marsh.
    I cant really see where inland roads could be used. Surely they don't expect people to go to the N11?
    Once you get to Booterstown Ave then you are into Blackrock Park and the coastal route anyway.
    As DCC control the piece from Merrion gates to Tara towers then I wonder what they plan for this stretch.
    As much as I disagree with Labre34 on most cycling infrastructure projects I do think that he has a point here.
    Maybe after 30+ years of the S2S it may just not be possible given the topography.

Edit.. After having read it more closely it looks like the plan for a cycleway on the outer sea wall effectively has been abandoned and Rock Road will be the de facto route from Merrion gates to Blackrock Park..
    Was it ever an option to build a path on the beach with a sea wall? I presume something similar to the existing Sandymount promenade?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Pretty disgraceful.

The temporary on-road measures are no substitute for a bespoke engineered and segregated route, to serve both local leisure cycling and cycling tourism alike.

Is it any wonder I'm so skeptical of local authorities installing "temporary" measures then throwing away the key so to speak. There must be proper planning and a definitive strategy for such projects.

Perhaps they looked at the utter hoopla further north and said why bother to make things better

• Registered Users Posts: 23,856 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Weepsie wrote: »
    Perhaps they looked at the utter hoopla further north and said why bother to make things better

You're comparing apples and oranges.

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    I am a bit confused by this.
    Maybe after 30+ years of the S2S it may just not be possible given the topography.
    Was it ever an option to build a path on the beach with a sea wall? I presume something similar to the existing Sandymount promenade?

Of course it's possible - examples can be found not only at Sandymount but also from Sutton to Dollymount and at many coastal cities around the world. It's even more of an option now as Irish Rail have to construct a sea wall to prevent flooding of the railway between Merrion Gates and Seapoint. Combining this with a coastal walkway/cycleway makes a lot of sense but unfortunately DLR don't seem to agree.

Advertisement