Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toddler waking

Options
  • 17-06-2020 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,631 ✭✭✭✭

hey guys
    Just a quick question having a bit of an issue with my two and half year old and just looking for some advice,

She generally an absolute pleasure always happy and vibrant but for some reason when ever she goes to sleep she wakes in absolutely foul form ,

She goes down to bed at about half 7 or quarter to 8 in evening she will be in good form going to bed and be happy to go but she will wake once or twice during the night which is fine but when she does she is always in foul form like moaning to herself and kicking her legs or crying , or all 3 , When she wakes In the morning it will be the same 20 minutes of her crying and moaning for no reason ,

Its the same when she wakers from a nap in the afternoon usually naps for an hour or two but when she wakes it to tears and the bad mood continues for about 30 minutes , Once she wakers up properly its gone and she is great for the rest of the day ,

I thought it was just a phase but its being going on since I can remember with her and just wondering is there something we are doing wrong or is there some other kind of issue we have missed

Her brother is absolutely fine none of these issue , CO

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Unlikely, my 4 year old is the same.Morning is just not her time!Daytime sleepings are similar, she brings new meaning to the phrase "get out of the wrong side of bed!".Personally if I sleep in the middle of the day I feel absolutely lousy when I wake up, for a good hour.It is actually better for me to stay tired for the day then attempt a daytime nap.It is probably just her.My first wakes up and sits up, ready to go, and my third is ok once he has 10 mins or so to wake properly.My second is not.!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,631 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

shesty wrote: »
    Unlikely, my 4 year old is the same.Morning is just not her time!Daytime sleepings are similar, she brings new meaning to the phrase "get out of the wrong side of bed!".Personally if I sleep in the middle of the day I feel absolutely lousy when I wake up, for a good hour.It is actually better for me to stay tired for the day then attempt a daytime nap.It is probably just her.My first wakes up and sits up, ready to go, and my third is ok once he has 10 mins or so to wake properly.My second is not.!!!

So basically its just who SHE IS :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

I replied on the December 2017 thread but then remembered this blog from Sarah Ockwell Smith that I read a while back.

https://sarahockwell-smith.com/2020/02/11/confusional-arousals-aka-why-children-wake-in-tears-after-a-nap/amp/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,288 ✭✭✭✭fits

^ that sounds like one of mine. He is usually fine when he wakes by himself but waking him up is just not worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Gemancy

Sounds gross but it could be threadworms. They are very common in toddler age group and are a cause of night time waking and irritability...

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/threadworms/

Just a suggestion..😀

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

My almost 4yo was a dream sleeper, 7 to 7 was the norm but since lockdown his daytime nap is very late 3:30/4pm till maybe 5:30/6. So bed time had to be later because he’d only wake from a nap an hour before normal bedtime. Every night now is a bit of a struggle. Tonight he was shouting requests downstairs till 10:30. This is so out of character. Sometimes he sleep walks or talks to himself in his sleep which he never did before.

If she’s waking up cranky maybe she’s tired and isn’t getting a proper sleep during her sleeping hours for some reason? There could be a change that’s effecting her? A new baby, house, or just the change in routine lately?

Maybe lockdown has her out of sorts? Has her routine changed much because of it? I never realized the effect it had on my LO, I didn’t think he had too much of an awareness but they are so astute, they pick up on everything and it can turn them upside down. I’m amazed of his awareness and comments about it!

Then again maybe she just isn’t a morning person and this little aspect of her personality is just beginning to shine through. Aren’t we all either morning people or night owls ��

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Snowy, I would consider cutting out the nap if he is still having it.He probably doesn't need it, and bedtime should go back to normal then.Or cut to every second or third day.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

I tried that for a while but he literally can’t function without it. He either gets extremely hyper or crashes and there’s absolutely no reasoning with him in that state.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭anndub

My almost 4yo was a dream sleeper, 7 to 7 was the norm but since lockdown his daytime nap is very late 3:30/4pm till maybe 5:30/6. So bed time had to be later because he’d only wake from a nap an hour before normal bedtime. Every night now is a bit of a struggle. Tonight he was shouting requests downstairs till 10:30. This is so out of character. Sometimes he sleep walks or talks to himself in his sleep which he never did before.

If she’s waking up cranky maybe she’s tired and isn’t getting a proper sleep during her sleeping hours for some reason? There could be a change that’s effecting her? A new baby, house, or just the change in routine lately?

Maybe lockdown has her out of sorts? Has her routine changed much because of it? I never realized the effect it had on my LO, I didn’t think he had too much of an awareness but they are so astute, they pick up on everything and it can turn them upside down. I’m amazed of his awareness and comments about it!

Then again maybe she just isn’t a morning person and this little aspect of her personality is just beginning to shine through. Aren’t we all either morning people or night owls ��

I might be way off the mark here but at age 4 would it be better to get rid of that nap altogether and aim for an earlier bedtime? My just gone 3yr old could probably do without her daytime nap now but as she still requests to go every day I'm going along with it but she needs to be up by 2.30pm again at the very latest in order to get her to bed at a reasonable time that night. If I wasn't going to be able to achieve that I'd be limiting the nap to thirty minutes, tops

Yeah, tbh if he isn't waking from a nap til after 5, I would ditch the nap and have bedtime at 6.30.Especially if he is up til 10 at night, it is a pretty good sign he doesn't need it, regardless of the time it happens at.It is hellish for a while but they get through it once bedtime is good and early.My second is 4 since early April, and she has not had a daily nap since she was about 2 and 10 months.She dropped it herself, it just went to every second day, every few days,then pushed out to the weekends only. She would just go up herself if she needed it.Eldest was similar.

• Advertisement
Advertisement