Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Private profiles - please note that profiles marked as private will soon be public. This will facilitate moderation so mods can view users' warning histories. All of your posts across the site will appear on your profile page (including PI, RI). Groups posts will remain private except to users who have access to the same Groups as you. Thread here
Some important site news, please read here. Thanks!

Book reccomendations

  • 16-06-2020 10:17pm
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭ Uinseann_16


    Hi all hoping to start a thread for book reccomendations for people who enjoy the sport of shooting hunting and in general the outdoors
    Im currently looking for one of WDM Bells books im thinking ill start with Karamojo Safari:)
    if anyone has some reccomendations for any other good books theyd be greatly appreciated :P
    Cheers
    Tagged:


Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭ tudderone


    "The wanderings of an elephant hunter", again by Bell. Read it, its good. Africa was a rough place to be back in Victorian times, and Bell puts it across well, every moment in Africa could be your last, the climate, terrain, wildlife, bandits, rival hunters, the list is endless.

    Another big game hunter Hesketh Pritchard, "Sniping in France". Obviously nothing to do with hunting. But his nearly single handed efforts to get the British army to take sniping seriously in the trenches of France during the first world war.

    A book i bought last year was "Rigby, a grand tradition". I bought it as i have an interest in Irish made firearms, its more of a coffee table book, but there is good info in it.


  • Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭ yubabill


    Anything by Jim Corbett - one of the best writers I have read and I've read Moby Dick at least twice (still don't know what many of the words mean).

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Corbett


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭ Feisar


    Ryan Cleckner's Long Range Shooting Handbook I found really good. His youtube vids are really informative as well.

    First they came for the socialists...



  • Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭ tudderone


    yubabill wrote: »
    Anything by Jim Corbett - one of the best writers I have read and I've read Moby Dick at least twice (still don't know what many of the words mean).

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Corbett

    I know its a book thread, but this is well worth a watch, even if the film quality isn't brill, should be able to stream to your telly. Made before the tv companies went completely dumbed down.




  • Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭ tudderone


    I did read the "Maneaters of Tsavo" years ago, which again was a true story. John Patterson was from Co.Longford. It was made into a film, which of course Hollywood made a balls of, called "The Ghost and the Darkness".


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,332 ✭✭✭✭ Grizzly 45


    Unrepentant Sinner, Charles Askins,
    Hell I was there.Elmer Kieth
    Two of the last generation of real cowboys,and general living by the gun men

    The man and the boy, Robert Rurak

    Anything written by Col Jeff Cooper

    Currently reading I am Soilder of Fortune,Dancing with devils Col Robert K Brown
    The whole story of the infamous Soilder of Fortune magazine and Browns
    global adventures

    Confucius say."He who says one man cannot change World. Never has eaten bat soup in Wuhan!"



  • Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭ tudderone


    I always liked Jeff Cooper, VERY forthright, direct, and no nonsense. I wonder what he'd make of the state of the world now ?


  • Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭ Sika98k


    African Big Game ? Anything by Robert (Bob) Ruark, Peter Hathaway Capstick. Between them they are probably responsible for getting more people to hunt Africa than anything else.
    Very dry senses of humour and more than likely somewhat tongue in cheek.
    “Hunter” by A. J. Hunter, A Hunters tracks by same. The list goes on and on. Months of the Sun by Ian Nyschens, what a book ! “White Hunters”


  • Registered Users Posts: 14,332 ✭✭✭✭ Grizzly 45


    Not often you get US presidents writing books worth reading,as they are usually self praising tomes or coverup BS excuse exercises.

    Except Teddy Rooseveldt.He wrote prolifically on hunting and ranching,long before he ever was thinking of politics
    Three of his books are apprently classics on hunting.
    Rooseveldt on hunting, and Ranch Life and the Hunting Trail and African Game Trails.

    Confucius say."He who says one man cannot change World. Never has eaten bat soup in Wuhan!"



  • Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭ jb88


    Want a book that teaches you about shooting get 23-10


    Or just come over to my house, got a bookshelf full of books, still wont make me a better shooter.


    Trigger time, a log book, a spotter, coach and a truckload of ammo get all of that so even a blind guy can hit the X.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭ yubabill


    Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Unrepentant Sinner, Charles Askins,
    Hell I was there.Elmer Kieth
    Two of the last generation of real cowboys,and general living by the gun men

    The man and the boy, Robert Rurak

    Anything written by Col Jeff Cooper

    Currently reading I am Soilder of Fortune,Dancing with devils Col Robert K Brown
    The whole story of the infamous Soilder of Fortune magazine and Browns
    global adventures

    Wrote to Cooper back in the '90's telling him about the (then) licensing situation here, in response to one of his articles (forget the topic, but my response was relevant to it - think something to do with Euro gun laws or UK gun laws). This was back when very few had email and I happened to have it as well as Cooper - back then it was like a VIP messaging thing (got treated like a billionaire if I booked a hotel by email etc. and it was unusual not to get a response from anyone).

    Never got a reply - got the feeling that he may have had more loyalty to the crown, just a feeling and no way to prove it.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭ tudderone


    yubabill wrote: »
    Wrote to Cooper back in the '90's telling him about the (then) licensing situation here, in response to one of his articles (forget the topic, but my response was relevant to it - think something to do with Euro gun laws or UK gun laws). This was back when very few had email and I happened to have it as well as Cooper - back then it was like a VIP messaging thing (got treated like a billionaire if I booked a hotel by email etc. and it was unusual not to get a response from anyone).

    Never got a reply - got the feeling that he may have had more loyalty to the crown, just a feeling and no way to prove it.

    Probably something to do with the fact that in America, the Irish were traditional supporters of the Democrat party. A party i doubt Cooper had much time for.


Advertisement