Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A question for the mechanics on here...

Options
  • 15-06-2020 9:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭

This is wrt changing front wheel bearings.

So I have a powerway R36 front hub that I want to change the bearings.
    So the end caps use a 5 mm allen key to unscrew from the axle. When both of the end caps are unscrewed it leaves the axle in place but the bearings do not sit on this axle ie the axle is effectly floating.
    Now there is no lip/gap between the bearings and the axle to get the pullers in and in fact the axle looks a shade bigger then the inner diameter of the bearing.
    About half way in on the axle you can insert a 6mm allen key but it does nothing.
    I have thought about putting an allen into this and tapping the bearing out but would fear bending the axle......plus the allen key just slides through .

Anyone have any idea how to get the bearings out?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭cletus

koutoubia wrote: »
    This is wrt changing front wheel bearings.

So I have a powerway R36 front hub that I want to change the bearings.
    So the end caps use a 5 mm allen key to unscrew from the axle. When both of the end caps are unscrewed it leaves the axle in place but the bearings do not sit on this axle ie the axle is effectly floating.
    Now there is no lip/gap between the bearings and the axle to get the pullers in and in fact the axle looks a shade bigger then the inner diameter of the bearing.
    About half way in on the axle you can insert a 6mm allen key but it does nothing.
    I have thought about putting an allen into this and tapping the bearing out but would fear bending the axle......plus the allen key just slides through .

Anyone have any idea how to get the bearings out?

Can you take a picture?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Plastik

Have you tried tapping the axle with a hammer? They sometimes have shoulders inboard of the bearings so that you can effective punch the bearing out - I don't know if Powerway have that design specifically, but a lot do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭koutoubia

Yep sounds plausible may try that tomorrow.
    The shoulder that raises above the bearing is very small.
    Will try some different terminology in my googling.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭cletus

There's a short video on YouTube of a powerway R13 hub having the bearings serviced. I'm not sure how similar the two hubs are, but the axle is tapped to remove the bearing.

The bigger internal Allen key socket seems to be there to hold the axle in place in order to remove the second end cap

• Advertisement

Yeah so I managed to knock the axle out and was pretty simple from there on in.
    Thanks for the pointers guys!

Advertisement