Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hertz Car Rental

Options
  • 14-06-2020 7:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭

Hertz have recently filed for bankruptcy but are still running in Ireland, if I book a car now for 2 weeks time, and they go bankrupt between now and then, am I due money back if they go through with the bankruptcy?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

It's only the US setup thats in chapter 11 and they are very unlikely to go away entirely

Pay by credit card and you can chargeback if they do go under

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭langer91

L1011 wrote: »
    It's only the US setup thats in chapter 11 and they are very unlikely to go away entirely

Pay by credit card and you can chargeback if they do go under

Cheers! I don’t have a credit card unfortunately for this situation. I may send them a mail just to get it in writing i’ll get the money back

• Registered Users Posts: 7,549 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

langer91 wrote: »
    Cheers! I don’t have a credit card unfortunately for this situation. I may send them a mail just to get it in writing i’ll get the money back

I thought they insisted on a credit card to rent a car, are you paying cash ?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

A letter isn't going to mean anything if they did actually go bankrupt.

Wonder if the stock will all be bought in bulk by the trade, or might there be a firesale?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

If I were you I would use another service provider. Whatever way this pans out if it goes wrong it will not be simple to get your money back

Wonder if the stock will all be bought in bulk by the trade, or might there be a firesale?

It is exceptionally unlikely that the Irish operation is going to be impacted.

Additionally, they have their own direct to consumer sales operation for used vehicles as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭langer91

Response from Hertz

“ With regard to the current situation with Hertz, the issues currently in the news relate only to Hertz USA and Canada. All other Hertz countries and locations globally are unaffected by the Chapter 11 filing in the USA, therefore business as usual.”

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

even with chapter 11, those who book after implementation of chapter 11 have very strong protections. Its just like examinership here.

Fairly popular and you'd be surprised at how many US companies have gone under chapter 11 protection.

as for not having a credit card - you won't be able to book without providing a large deposit / hold on a debit card

Advertisement