Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help trying to figure out what WIFI standard my Virgin Media Hub 3.0 router has

Options
  • 14-06-2020 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭

Hi there,

I'm ordering a new PCI-E Wifi card for my PC and I was thinking of getting one that has the Wifi 6(801.11ax) standard but I assume that in order to avail of Wifi 6 speeds my router has to have the Wifi 6 standard itself?

I'm just wondering how do I find out what standard my router has? I contacted Virgin on Facebook but they didn't seem to know how to figure out for sure what standard the router is.

Any helpful information regarding my issue would be much appreciated!

Kind regards

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

It's AC1200 or thereabouts. The hardware predates wifi 6 availability by a lonnng shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

It's actually 1600, but a very cheap 1600.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭segosego89

ED E wrote: »
    It's actually 1600, but a very cheap 1600.
    Hey, thanks for the reply.

Am...I assume AC1600 is faster than AC1200? I guess that means I should just get a Wifi 5(801.11ac) card instead of a Wifi 6 card.

I have the option of getting a Wifi card called a "TP-Link Archer T4E AC1200" that has Bluetooth functionality shown here:https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B013HCNTZU/?coliid=I3O8SFFIMFC7GY&colid=1MCERZDVDXSBF&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it&th=1

I'm just wondering do you know what is the advantage of the Bluetooth 4.2 functionality built into the card? I use a wireless bluetooth mouse and Xbox One controller that have respective bluetooth dongles that connect into the front panel of my PC(which allows me to use the devices wirelessly via Bluetooth). Would having a Wifi card that has Bluetooth built into it mean I wouldn't have to use those dongles at all? In other words would the two devices connect to the PCI-E Wifi card and I can disregard the dongle setup?

Thanks

Advertisement