Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

washing machine and soakpit

Options
  • 14-06-2020 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭

My daughter will be putting a wooden shed at the rear of her terraced garden. There are no drains in the garden and she was thinking at some future date of putting the washing machine in the shed.
    My question is could I dig a soak pit under the shed for washing machine waste water and what size would be necessary.
    I have read that washing machine waste should go to sewer waste only and yetI have heard in the last few days with hose pipe bans that waste water is good for the garden and should be harvested due to high potassium content.
    Any advise appreciated? (less work for daddy if its a no no:D)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭hargo

My other thought is if the water is routed to a planted area 4m by 3m beside the shed ie waste pipe running the length of the planted area with holes drilled along the length od the pipe so it provides a watering system for the planted area!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

What temperature water could the plant roots endure if the washing machine outlet is connected directly to a perforated hosepipe in the planted area?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Must go to foul waste. Should not go to garden or soak away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

I know of a house where a cowboy builder did something similar. Suds appear in the garden at certain times of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭hargo

OK as I thought thanks for replies I can relax again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭ditpaintball

Send it to a fowl only.

I am currently renovating a house where a washing machine was piped out to a soak-away and it has destroyed the place. The smell and the black crap from it over the years will have to be removed at some point also remember.

Advertisement