Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bay Laurel Leaves Yellow?

Options
  • 14-06-2020 10:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hi,

I planted some Bay Laurel over a year ago and they have been doing great — up until a few weeks ago. I started to notice some of the leaves turn yellow, but I'm noticing it getting worse.

Would anyone know what might be the cause here? I've attached a few images.

Any help would be great!

Ger

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Brego888

I've noticed young laurels everywhere the same. Assume they've been struggling with the recent drought after such a wet winter?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭macraignil

Evergreen plants do not keep their leaves forever and will take nutrients out of older leaves to put into new growth. One of the pictures clearly shows healthy new growth with new leaves being formed so it just looks like this natural process to me with the record dry month of May possibly making it a bit slower for the new growth to get going.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭bb12

lack of water. i've been having loads of trouble with my laurel hedge over the last couple of months that is only starting to recover now. lots of water needed

• Registered Users Posts: 25 globo2016

Thanks for the replies. I had thought I was watering quite regularly but maybe they need that bit extra. I could try some feed also.

I had initially thought it was some insect eating the leaves or a type of fungal infection maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

globo2016 wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies. I had thought I was watering quite regularly but maybe they need that bit extra. I could try some feed also.

I had initially thought it was some insect eating the leaves or a type of fungal infection maybe.
    The leaves being attacked by pests are the ones that have already been weakened by the causes stated above. It's part of nature's plan.

• Advertisement
Advertisement