Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can’t obtain IP on wired connection

Options
  • 14-06-2020 10:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭

Hi
    My PS4 has suddenly stopped connecting to the internet. It is connected via Ethernet to a Virgin Media hub 3.
    When I test the connection it times out when trying to obtain an IP address.
    When I assign a static IP address it then cannot connect to the server.
    I’ve tried unplugging both the modem and the PS4 but no change.
    Has anyone had this problem before?

Edit: it works ok over WiFi but I’d prefer to use wired.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,385 ✭✭✭Damien360

You connected direct to hub via a Ethernet cable or to a powerline adapter ? I would try another cable first. If it’s powerline, every so often I have to reconnect one (and only this one) back to its central one pressing the connect button on each. Try another device on same cable. PC/laptop and see if it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

nialldinho wrote: »
    Hi
    My PS4 has suddenly stopped connecting to the internet. It is connected via Ethernet to a Virgin Media hub 3.
    When I test the connection it times out when trying to obtain an IP address.
    When I assign a static IP address it then cannot connect to the server.
    I’ve tried unplugging both the modem and the PS4 but no change.
    Has anyone had this problem before?

Edit: it works ok over WiFi but I’d prefer to use wired.

Check to see if your PS4 is been given an ipv6 address. If so turn that off.

Also make sure you have asked virgin media to turn off your ipv6 altogether and only use ipv4.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭nialldinho

Thanks.

I actually just unplugged an Ethernet cable from the hub that wasn’t going anywhere and it seems to be working again. Could be a coincidence

Advertisement