Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I ask for a refund before item order is built?

Options
  • 14-06-2020 12:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭

I ordered a sofa in a shop a few months back and paid in full at the time (debit card). They said to let them know about 8 weeks before I want it to let them know and they’ll build it then.

Since then, their treatment of customers online has been shocking and have been providing generic responses to all queries. They’re behaving like a company that’s going under and are untrustworthy at best.

I’m wondering if I could cancel and get a refund before it’s built? If not, I’ll tell them I want it now and will i’ll put it in storage if they actually ever deliver it.
    Thanks for your help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,169 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

You can ask, you may not get. Have you informed them that you are ready to take delivery of the sofa yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭colly10

Dav010 wrote: »
    You can ask, you may not get. Have you informed them that you are ready to take delivery of the sofa yet?

No, I will be now though to get everything moving asap

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

colly10 wrote: »
    They’re behaving like a company that’s going under and are untrustworthy at best.

Always be careful what you see and read on social media. In many cases one customer can orchestrate a campaign against a company and have 20+ of their friends leave comments

Only judge by how they treat you. Have YOU any personal experience that makes you uneasy?

And why did you pay months in advance and in full for a suite of furniture? I've never heard of that before. - And never ever ever believe that xx sale price is ending or that it will be yy price "after sale". That is all utter BS and certain companies like DFS take suich tactics to the extreme and so many people believe the BS that sales men give.

If there are any issues, you are covered by the fact you paid by card.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭colly10

silver2020 wrote: »
    Always be careful what you see and read on social media. In many cases one customer can orchestrate a campaign against a company and have 20+ of their friends leave comments

Only judge by how they treat you. Have YOU any personal experience that makes you uneasy?

And why did you pay months in advance and in full for a suite of furniture? I've never heard of that before. - And never ever ever believe that xx sale price is ending or that it will be yy price "after sale". That is all utter BS and certain companies like DFS take suich tactics to the extreme and so many people believe the BS that sales men give.

If there are any issues, you are covered by the fact you paid by card.

It wouldn’t be 20 or so comments that’s influencing me, it’s over 1k recent comments complaining about the customer service of the company along with the generic responses that they’ve given me that don’t answer the question asked.

Not paying by CC was a big mistake by me. I chose to pay in full at the time for budgeting reasons, I had alot more to buy than a few sofas so chose to clear everything as I got it rather than keeping track of what i owed out to companies. Didn’t foresee this situation, could be a costly mistake either way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

And why did you pay months in advance and in full for a suite of furniture? I've never heard of that before.
    If the suite you want is not in-store and ready-to-go, it can take up to 20 weeks for it to get made and shipped, typically from the UK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

colly10 wrote: »

Not paying by CC was a big mistake by me.

makes no difference whether it was debit or credit card, it the visa/mastercard chargeback policy you'd be claiming on and as Laser is long gone, a debit card will be either visa or mastercard.

If you want to send me a PM with what the store is, i can give you an opinion based on my knowledge of credit risk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

tricky D wrote: »
    If the suite you want is not in-store and ready-to-go, it can take up to 20 weeks for it to get made and shipped, typically from the UK.

Shipped from China more like. My friend had a problem with one of the big ware house sofa companies based in the UK. They were real hard ball customers. He was an Engineer and Six Sigma Black belt and knew his consumer law. He got deep entrenched with them without a solicitor.

He pointed out all the flaws. They took back the whole suite but grief over time and cost, it would have been easier to get the whole suite made in Dublin. He got his refund but it was over a 5 month period. Once they got your cash its gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,169 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

makes no difference whether it was debit or credit card, it the visa/mastercard chargeback policy you'd be claiming on and as Laser is long gone, a debit card will be either visa or mastercard.

If you want to send me a PM with what the store is, i can give you an opinion based on my knowledge of credit risk

Based on your knowledge of this, what would the op be disputing about the transaction?

Refunds can be claimed from the card provider when goods don’t arrive or if they arrive damaged or not as described, none of these apply to the op.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,845 ✭✭✭daheff

Where these companies offer interest free credit I always take this. Why give them your money up front if you don't need to. You can stick your cash in an interest bearing account for the time and ultimately reduce your cost(appreciate interest is low now, and you need to time the maturities so you can make the payments).

Advertisement