Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lexus IS300H

Options
  • 13-06-2020 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭

Looking at a 2016 version of this car coming from a 2012 Audi A6 , anyone any feedback on the MPG for the Lexus? Are they a good car?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

They are capable of serious mpg if driven handy. Friend has one.
    It’s smaller than an A4, so might feel tight compared to an A6. Seating position is low.

They are biblically reliable, and they drive pretty sharp but they’re not really a car you’d hoon down a backroad like you might a 3 series.

Elephant in the room is the CVT gearbox that everyone mentions on a Toyota hybrid. it’s not bad at all, but does kinda take from the driving fun a bit - but it doesn’t ruin the car by any stretch.

Infotainment is varying degrees of clunky - depending on which version the particular car has.

All in all, I think it’s a genuinely enjoyable car, it’s got great character, it’s economical and they’re generally well equipped.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭scooby77

New model being unveiled this week, might help knock a few quid off!
    Honest John real mpg 48.6
    Have look at spritmonitor too

Lovely machine and should last a very long time, considered myself but personally didn't like driving position, thought bit tight. Agree defo lot smaller than A6.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

scooby77 wrote: »
    New model being unveiled this week, might help knock a few quid off!
    Honest John real mpg 48.6
    Have look at spritmonitor too

Lovely machine and should last a very long time, considered myself but personally didn't like driving position, thought bit tight. Agree defo lot smaller than A6.

It’s not going to be sold here. Crossovers have killed the market and Lexus don’t think it’s worth their time. Shame, had an IS250. Fantastic car.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭badboyblast

colm_mcm wrote: »
    They are capable of serious mpg if driven handy. Friend has one.
    It’s smaller than an A4, so might feel tight compared to an A6. Seating position is low.

They are biblically reliable, and they drive pretty sharp but they’re not really a car you’d hoon down a backroad like you might a 3 series.

Elephant in the room is the CVT gearbox that everyone mentions on a Toyota hybrid. it’s not bad at all, but does kinda take from the driving fun a bit - but it doesn’t ruin the car by any stretch.

Infotainment is varying degrees of clunky - depending on which version the particular car has.

All in all, I think it’s a genuinely enjoyable car, it’s got great character, it’s economical and they’re generally well equipped.

Thanks. Must keep an eye on the room inside. I'm 6.4 so the A6 is great and a nice bit of room in it, petrol has a nice few advantages over the diesel and maintenance. Proce is good on the 2016 at 19.500 with a new hybrid battery fitted and the sports version of the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I think you’re too tall for the car tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭badboyblast

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I think you’re too tall for the car tbh.

I think you could be right thinking about it. Partly the reason I had no interest in an A4

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Dufflecoat Fanny

just bought a 132 executive 76k miles lovely car and quick as hell

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

For what it's worth a friend went from a 2.0 TDI A6 to an IS300h and is getting the same 6.5L/100km driving to the city center with a 30km commute each day. They'd have a bit of a heavy foot and not too concerned with fuel economy but they did mention trying to drive better with the hybrid and didn't get anything extra out of it. In saying that they also said the engine kept coming on early when taking off from a light no matter how easy they moved off and changing eco mode on/off didn't make a difference.

Would love to drive it myself and see what I could get out of it. Lovely looking car.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

DaveyDave wrote: »
    In saying that they also said the engine kept coming on early when taking off from a light no matter how easy they moved off and changing eco mode on/off didn't make a difference.

I'm not sure what they're expecting there, the ICE will always kick in when pulling off if you want to move at any sort of reasonable pace, i.e. not crawling. It's in low load conditions where you benefit from the ICE not running, not accelerating from a standstill.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I'm not sure what they're expecting there, the ICE will always kick in when pulling off if you want to move at any sort of reasonable pace, i.e. not crawling. It's in low load conditions where you benefit from the ICE not running, not accelerating from a standstill.

I would have thought the likes of city driving is where the benefit would be. Frequently taking off, getting up to speed etc?

I think they were just expecting better than 6.5L/100km but I don't think that's a bad figure for a heavy car with city driving, rush hour too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

DaveyDave wrote: »
    I would have thought the likes of city driving is where the benefit would be. Frequently taking off, getting up to speed etc?

It is, but it's still a petrol hybrid. You need substantial power to get moving from a standstill so it makes sense for the ICE to start for that. Once you're done accelerating and at a low cruising speed then it can use EV power for 2-3 km or so (assuming a full battery). If you used EV power for accelerating then you'd just deplete the battery quickly and end up having to charge it in situations that are inefficient to do so, e.g. low load cruising or decelerating.

Getting similar fuel efficiency to an equivalent diesel is pretty good going. The new hybrids are a bit more efficient, but the IS300h is from the previous (third) generation of Toyota/Lexus hybrids.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,115 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Is there a new IS300h being released soon, I see the car is no longer listed on Lexus.ie but is on the UK site?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Dufflecoat Fanny

they're discontinued

Advertisement