Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is my Employer ??????? to do this? When I'm

Options
  • 13-06-2020 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I was supposed to be off tomorrow, Sunday, However my Employer texts me at 8pm and says to come in for 3hours at 6am are they allowed to do this?

I'm on the rota as in OFF and the manager texts me to come in at 6AM for 3 hours...Do i have ANY legal rights?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

I was supposed to be off tomorrow, Sunday, However my Employer texts me at 8pm and says to come in for 3hours at 6am are they allowed to do this?

I'm on the rota as in OFF and the manager texts me to come in at 6AM for 3 hours...Do i have ANY legal rights?

Its not illegal to ask, you can always say no.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

double time on sunday?
    all depends on your contract i guess, personally i would do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 AreIBeingTaken

frag420 wrote: »
    Its not illegal to ask, you can always say no.

The thing she asked and I said no, and then shes telling me, Sorry! but we have no one else

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

The thing she asked and I said no, and then shes telling me, Sorry! but we have no one else

Just say your busy. We all have lives outside of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Is there nobody else she can ask/ Who was meant to be working?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 AreIBeingTaken

frag420 wrote: »
    Is there nobody else she can ask/ Who was meant to be working?

She said everyone else is in work, apart from me

• Registered Users Posts: 73,389 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

She said everyone else is in work, apart from me

Should be plenty cover so.

Working for 3 hours at that hour of the morning is a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

I was always thought from my fellow work peers that its fine to say "yes" at times but just as important to say "no" now and again.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Nicole2020

They are allowed to ask, but you are also allowed to say no. However, it depends on your contract whether that’s advisable. Having worked in hospitality for years, the part-time / zero hour employees who are flexible and willing to come in at the last second, always got priority to the ones who aren’t when rosters are drawn up. It’s unfair but it’s the way it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

Your options:

1. If you don't care about the job and have no intention of staying there long term, ignore the texts and enjoy your Sunday off.

2. If you're planning on staying there long term; career, promotions etc, go in, it's only 3 hours. Brownie points for you.

It's pretty cut and dry, not sure why you're mentioning legal rights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,076 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Lundstram wrote: »
    Your options:

1. If you don't care about the job and have no intention of staying there long term, ignore the texts and enjoy your Sunday off.

2. If you're planning on staying there long term; career, promotions etc, go in, it's only 3 hours. Brownie points for you.

It's pretty cut and dry, not sure why you're mentioning legal rights.

Yeah, but the question is; if he does care about the job and wants to stay there and doesn;t need the brownie points, can he get into toruble for saying no?

Short answer - no; unless there's a specific clause in the terms of the employment contract.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

Stand your ground now and say no or else you'll basically be saying that you'll work whenever they ask even at short notice when it's your day off.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Tiger Roll

You are entitled to 24 hours notice of a change to your working hours , however you can be asked to be work with less than 24 hours notice due to unforeseen circumstances such as another employee being absent due to illness . That's the legal position if being called in at short notice is not in your contract. So you should check your contract either way

Unless it's in your contract, of course they're not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

Lundstram wrote: »

it's only 3 hours.

Exactly; their Sunday off (and presumably their Saturday night before) is ruined for whatever is left after tax from 3 hours' pay.

OP, tell them you've already made plans that you can't cancel, sorry. And just turn up as normal for your next rostered shift.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

I gotta know OP, did you go to work!

Advertisement