Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on basic TV setup over internet only

Options
  • 13-06-2020 1:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

I live in an apartment and while it was set up with a shared Sky supply that has stopped working and we don't really want to get on to the landlord. Not sure if Sky is what we need anyway.

I tried connecting the aerial in to the TV to see if we could tune any basic channels but there was nothing there.

So I think that our only option would be to get everything over the internet,

We already get Netflix, Prime and Disney (will prob cancel soon) and chromecast but I'm a bit frustrated with the need to use my phone for everything. We also chromecast RTE and Virgin Media if there is something we really want to see on.

I'm looking to try and turn this into a bit more of a traditional tv set up where I can see what is on and possible record. Would also be good to add at min. BBC.

Are my options Eir and Vodafone TV. We already have Vodafone internet which works fine so I'd be more tempted with them.

It seems they only offer Netflix app. I'm thinking of getting a NOW TV stick also. I understand that will give me Prime and Disney Apps. I could then add sports on a per month basis if I wanted.

Is that the most efficient / cost efficient way?

It seems a pity that there is no saorview equivalent for internet only.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

Fake Tales wrote: »
    I live in an apartment and while it was set up with a shared Sky supply that has stopped working and we don't really want to get on to the landlord. Not sure if Sky is what we need anyway.

I tried connecting the aerial in to the TV to see if we could tune any basic channels but there was nothing there.

We already get Netflix, Prime and Disney (will prob cancel soon) and chromecast but I'm a bit frustrated with the need to use my phone for everything. We also chromecast RTE and Virgin Media if there is something we really want to see on.

I'm looking to try and turn this into a bit more of a traditional tv set up where I can see what is on and possible record. Would also be good to add at min. BBC.

Are my options Eir and Vodafone TV. We already have Vodafone internet which works fine so I'd be more tempted with them.

It seems they only offer Netflix app. I'm thinking of getting a NOW TV stick also. I understand that will give me Prime and Disney Apps. I could then add sports on a per month basis if I wanted.

So at the moment I use Eir TV my setup is as follows

EirTV sub but with that i get Apple TV & Prime
    I also subscribe to Disney & Netflix
    The Apple box from Eir also comes with Now TV app just in case I want to sub to sports etc.

Only reals cons I have come across are no Virgin Media player, lack of being able to record some channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭jonny_b

Fake Tales wrote: »

If you get Vodafone tv you can log into their TV app on your phone and cast to any TV on the same WiFi network as the phone. Be it in your apartment or anywhere else that has a castable TV or chromecast which is handy. Less channels to watch on the app as what there is on the box but all the main ones are available

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

campo wrote: »
    So at the moment I use Eir TV my setup is as follows

EirTV sub but with that i get Apple TV & Prime
    I also subscribe to Disney & Netflix
    The Apple box from Eir also comes with Now TV app just in case I want to sub to sports etc.

Only reals cons I have come across are no Virgin Media player, lack of being able to record some channels.

I find recording is not essential any more.

Rte, virgin and all 4 catch-up suits my needs for IPTV catch-up

• Registered Users Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

IrishHomer wrote: »
    I find recording is not essential any more.

Rte, virgin and all 4 catch-up suits my needs for IPTV catch-up

I use iBox, 60 channels for 10 euro a month. They also have 7 day catchup which is handy.
    http://www.ibox.ie/

Advertisement