Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic violence against men

Options
  • 13-06-2020 1:18pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭

How common is it? I was in a group therapy two years ago and there were three men who had experienced it from their female partners. Seems like it's a very common thing in Ireland.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭iptba

Some official statistics:
    Statistics on Domestic Violence:
    The findings of the National Crime Council’s National Study of Domestic Abuse by Watson and Parsons, (2005) show that:

15 per cent of women and 6 per cent of men have experienced severely abusive behaviour from a partner.
    29 per cent of women and 26 per cent of men suffer domestic abuse when severe abuse and minor incidents are combined.
    In the region of 213,000 women and 88,000 men in Ireland have been severely abused by a partner at some point in their lives.

http://www.justice.ie/en/JELR/Pages/PR16000347

The Taoiseach mentions men and women so hopefully this will help all
    Rent supplement changes will help victims of domestic violence

The Minister for Social Protection, Regina Doherty, has revealed changes to make rent supplement available more easily to victims of domestic violence.

Under these new rules, victims of domestic violence can get immediate access to rent supplement for a three month period to ensure that they are not prevented from leaving their home because of financial concerns.
    https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0614/1147336-rent-supplement-change/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

While I have only one minor experience of it myself, I have witnessed it happen to men I know and strangers in public. It worries me to think what goes on behind closed doors. I have also been told directly about it from one or two friends in the past.

I firmly believe that the incidence of domestic violence against men by women is FAR higher than what certain folk in society would want us to believe and are often VERY dismissive of it.

There is an ugly narrative amongst some outlets when it comes to domestic violence and its awareness campaigns which not only appear to be dismissive of female on male abuse but also don't appear to acknowledge female on female (apparently quite high figures) and male on male violence.

Also, under the umbrella of domestic violence is emotional and psychological abuse which I know a lot have men suffer at the hands of their wives/girlfriends.

Men find it VERY difficult to talk about these kind of things for a multitude of reasons and some of the current campaigns don't make it any easier.

Frustratingly, I have been told before that I must hate women for saying the above. This odd narrative that flows through some in today's society that only women can be victims or ok we will give you 1% of the victimhood pie but thats all you get.

Just because its isn't reported as much doesn't mean it isn't happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

It's quite common. Domestic violence isn't just physical. Only yesterday I heard about a woman who goes through her partner's phone and on several occasions she has blocked the numbers of people she doesn't like calling him.

Addressing the Reality of Domestic Violence Against Men
    By John Cappello for YourTango.com
    Last updated: 23 Jun 2020
    ~ 3 MIN READ
    https://psychcentral.com/blog/addressing-the-reality-of-domestic-violence-against-men/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,211 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I remember before I was watching a chat show with women. They were discussing how terribly there fellas dressed and how they banned them from wearing certain things, dumped there clothes, told them exactly what to wear, etc. This made a big joke of but if the genders were reversed I don’t think it would be a laughing matter.
    I think control can be common enough regarding phones, spending, etc.
    Also, it can be okay to make your fella look like an idiot in public and really talk him down.

Now I’m not saying that it’s very common but it does happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

What about emotional abuse? I wonder how many men are constantly nagged and belittled by their women?

I wonder too how many wife beaters are men who snap after years of abuse and lash out?

That's the thing, men eventually snap after a long period of abuse (mental and physical) but they are a seen as the aggressor because...there is no reason to hit a woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Emme wrote: »
    It's quite common. Domestic violence isn't just physical. Only yesterday I heard about a woman who goes through her partner's phone and on several occasions she has blocked the numbers of people she doesn't like calling him.

Throwing away possessions they deem their partner doesn't need anymore
    Checking his phone daily/weekly
    Throwing out clothes they didn't like
    Telling them what they have to ware to social events.
    Demanding they shave off beards, change hsirstyles
    I've had more than one woman actually boasting about doing these things to their husband/boyfriend and it's across all ages. I will always call it what it is:abusive. And if they think it's OK to boast about doing these things in public what are they doing behind closed doors to control their partners?

There is far too much tolerance of this kind of controlling behaviours from women towards men. Personally, they scream red flag to me.

Advertisement