Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anyone applied for a Credit Union mortgage?

Options
  • 12-06-2020 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, myself and my partner are both in the Civil Service, me for the last number of years and himself since March.

I've been saving in the PSCU (which doesn't currently offer mortgages) for the last year and he's recently joined his own branch (which does offer mortgages)and started the process of saving. We're hoping to have a deposit together within the next two years. As we're both in our 40s, time is of the essence! Both first time buyers.

Interest rate appears to be a bit higher than banks rates - approx 3.75% - but I like the idea of a more personal service and there are certain perks like free life cover and 5% interest rebate each year. Has anyone ever gone through the mortgage process with their Credit Union and if so, how did ye find it?

Apologies if there's already a thread somewhere, I couldn't find one anywhere!

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Have you checked how much more you're going to be paying in interest for the personal service? Karl's mortgage calculator is great for that. You can check what you'd pay on their rate, and the best rate you'd get in a bank. Personally I wouldn't pay anything at all extra for a personal service, but if you have the money then go for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Merowig

The life cover isn't free - you pay for it with the much higher interest rate.
    Go for the cheapest mortgage you can get - will save you thousands.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭frank730

they are more expensive but definitely more helpful to deal with. maybe get your mortgage with a credit union for a few years and switch to a bank who offers lower rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Sir Galahad

3.5% mortgage rate with PSCU.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭reggie3434

PTSB are very civil service friendly and I found you could borrow more with them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭SupaCat95

Home truths they are a sub-prime lender. The only reason you are looking at them is because the main lenders (aib, boi, avant, ptsb) see you as a bad risk or the amount is too small (not worth getting out of bed for less than 300k mortgage).

Mother had it bate into us as kids "the credit union is our friends and the banks are evil". When we went for our mortgage rate there was a 4% difference between avant and CU.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭JCN12

Oh yes they are the same as subprime lenders. They charge a higher rayte because they lend to greater risk people.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

How does a credit union issue a mortgage? Are they able to work the fractional reserve system to cast new money into existence like banks or are they relying on some bank behind the scenes to do the heavy lifting for them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Think my local credit union is charging 4.5% variable. Is that not similar to a bank?

• Advertisement

Well they have massively improved since three years ago. I am no longer shopping for mortgage thank god. Credit Union were 8% (I grasped my pearls) while BoI were 3.2 and AIB were 2.4 and Avant were 2.45.

The Credit Union would lend for smaller amounts like 80k. The bank were making excuses not to lend to us. Its not worth writing a mortgage for 80k.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭phormium

They are awash with member savings, limits in most CUs as to the amount you can have in your account at this stage as they just don't want it all! Mine reduced from 100k to 30k several years ago and have only recently upped it to 40k.

Advertisement