Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Diabetic taxi driver, should I declare?

Options
  • 12-06-2020 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi folks,

Hoping someone can help me out. I drive a cab and I have diabetes. Do I need to declare this to the insurance company?

Thanks,
    Pal.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,480 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Yes, it's a legal requirement and if you are taking insulin or a Sulfonylurea you also are required to inform the NDLS.

Surely your care team have discussed this with you?

If you are type 1 or insulin dependent you also have further restrictions/requirements for the PSV license.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭zg3409

Your insurance is null and void if insurance find out. So you are driving with no insurance at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

zg3409 wrote: »
    Your insurance is null and void if insurance find out. So you are driving with no insurance at present.

It's not void, it's "voidable" by the insurer if there has been a misrepresentation

• Registered Users Posts: 44 orla.mccormack

You shouldn't see an increase on your insurance as a result of disclosing that information

• Registered Users Posts: 26,924 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

No Judgement OP, but yes you are required to disclose this

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,874 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Splitting hairs. The money they paid for insurance is wasted if they don't inform their insurance company. Their policy will be voided and they will be liable for any money paid out if they are involved in an RTC, insurance companies have started taking people to court.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

3rd party claims will still be paid, so it's not splitting hairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,874 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

The purpose of insurance is so that the person who has it doesn't have any liability when the are involved in an incident. If the insurance company pay out for 3rd parties and then have a judgement made against you for the sum they paid out then your insurance was no good. The policy being void or voidable makes no difference to the person at the end of the day if you have to pay out in the end, so splitting hairs.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Insurance aims to reduce financial uncertainty and makes accidental losses manageable.

Not all 3rd party claims paid in the above circumstances are recoverable.

Advertisement